Can smoking weed bring back man boobs?

I'm a young man who was just revieved corrective surgery. I previously had a mild case of gynecomastia. My doctor warned me that smoking marijuana or taking steroids could cause this condition to come back. I don't have a problem with steroids but I do use marijuana for recreational purposes. I was wondering if this "weed causes man boobs" is just a technique to scare teens from smoking the plant or if it actually cause this condition to reoccur after I have had the cones in my areolas removed.

The Causes of Gynecomastia & Lasting Effects of Surgery

The #recurrence of breast enlargement is uncommon following #gynecomastia surgery.
However, it can occur. If this happens, you may require further surgery in the future.

The male breast is composed of glandular tissue and fatty tissue. An excess in either type of tissue can cause the chest to take on the look of gynecomastia. Gynecomastia can affect #men of all different body types. There are different types of #gynecomastia.
Several common factors can cause gynecomastia including excessive levels of #estrogen, natural #hormone changes, use of recreational drugs or alcohol, medications and their associated side effects, and, various health conditions. Also, there are different types of #gynecomastia.
Therefore, weight gain, steroid use,recreational drug use and have hormonal conditions can contribute to a return of gynecomastia regardless of previous surgical removal and treatments.

Each patient is unique and previous #results are not a guarantee for individual outcomes. As with all cosmetic surgery, results will be rewarding if expectations are realistic.

Can smoking weed bring back man boobs?

Yes, it is possible. If you continue smoking weed, I would advise periodic examination by your surgeon. Marijuana is a known cause of Gynecomastia but not everyone who uses the drug will have this problem. 

All The Best !

Ajaya Kashyap, MD
India Plastic Surgeon

THC linked to Man Boobs

In fact THC or tetrahydrocannabinol, is the chemical responsible for most of marijuana's psychological effects and indeed it has been one of known causes of gynecomastia.

Marijuana and gynecomastia "male breast enlargement"

There are many causes of male breast enlargement. Typical cause is puberty, with hormonal changes in young boys the breasts may become enlarged, obesity can also cause it as well. With time this enlargement is resolved, bu at times breast enlargement will remain. Other causes are steroid use and use of marijuana. It is thought that marijuana is broken down to a form of hormone that can cause male breast enlargement. I recommend my patient to avoid both after surgery as to limit risk of recurrence of gynecomastia.

Shahriar Mabourakh, MD, FACS
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Man boobs

Thank you for your question and I agree with Dr Law but if you have already had a resection of tissue the risk should be very small

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Marijuana and Gynecomastia

There is not conclusive evidence that marijuana contributes to gynecomastia, but some patients and physicians believe that it could be a contributing factor. To be safe, you may elect to stay away from marijuana or at least use recreational drugs very sparingly.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon