Smoking marijuana 1 month post FUE hair transplant: lose grafts or slowed rate?

Okay, going to be honest because I'm looking for answers I have not seen admitted yet. 5/6/16: 2k grafts FUE Transplant. I was informed after 7 days post op. I may return to my normal routine. I do smoke pot but not habitually; 2-3 times out of 1-2 weeks. Here is my question: 1) Will smoking pot make me lose % of grafts or only slow its growth? Which is greater? I only read it will slow the process but will I LOSE potential thickness? Its been over 1 month post op and can I recover % rate now?

Weed and FUE

Your grafts are well healed but are going into a normal resting phase.We tell our clients they may return to their usual activities at 7 to 10 days. However, I recommend holding off “the 420” as this decreases the blood supply to the scalp/skin/brain etc.Also, do avoid prolonged direct sun exposure by wearing a hat and using sun block spray SPF 30 or greater every 2 hrs while out in the sun.

Beverly Hills Hair Restoration Surgeon

Smoking is not generally recommended after surgery. It may affect growth. However there is no clear study to validate or inval

Smoking is not generally recommended after surgery. It may affect growth. However there is no clear study to validate this.  

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

NeoGraft

Thank you for your question. I suggest that you prolong any smoking for 1 month after the procedure. Please consult with the board certified facial plastic surgeon who performed your surgery for more detail and direction.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

In my opinion you can go back to your normal routine. The chemicals that are in cigarette smoke are way more dangerous to a transplant than marijuana. The chemicals in cigarette smoke can cause a decrease in circulation. Below is a blog entry about this if you are interested.

William Woessner, MD
New Orleans Hair Restoration Surgeon

Smoking marijuana 1 month post FUE hair transplant: lose grafts or slowed rate

Thank you for posting your question. 1 month post procedure you can resume smoking, but keep in mind from what we have seen, patients who smoke seem to get their results a bit later by a few weeks. That being said, you will achieve full growth, but give yourself a few extra weeks for the 100% growth.

Matt Tahsini, MD
Pasadena Hair Restoration Surgeon

Post op care one month after the procedure

After one month your implanted hair is settled in and you should be completely healed. At this point you can return to your normal activity and routine. 

Michael Meshkin, MD
Newport Beach Hair Restoration Surgeon

Smoking pot

At one months, do whatever you feel up to doing. Your are now normal and if pot smoking is your choice, go for it

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon