I'd like a smas facelift but my friend had one & complained of flat cheeks & hollowing under eyes. What could have gone wrong?
Doctor Answers 11
Flat cheeks post #facelift procedures: why is it important to add #FatGrafting to your procedure
A very important point to mention is that a facelift does not replenish lost volumes; it does reposition sagging tissues but it will not give you back volume that was lost.
For this reason, I commonly recommend fat grafting to all my facelift patients. So you should consider. And not all plastic surgeon perform this procedure. Fat grafting require meticuous work.
In the interim, you friend could consider fillers.
Facelift and under eye hollows
You might also like...
I'd like a smas facelift but my friend had one & complained of flat cheeks & hollowing under eyes.
If you have "jowls" this is sagging facial tissues and an indication for some form of a facelift. The underlying SMAS layer, of the face, must be dissected, lifted, trimmed and re-sutured (not merely folded or suspended with threads or sutures that will not last). The excess skin is then removed and the facelift incisions closed.
My most popular facelift is the minimally invasive, short incision facelift that has all the benefits of more invasive facelifts (traditional, mid-face and subperiosteal facelifts) but with these added benefits:
- very small incisions
- minimal tissue dissection = less bruising and swelling = rapid recovery
- can be performed in 90 minutes or less, with or without general anesthesia
- no incisions within the hair = no hair loss
- excess fat can be removed
- excess skin removed
- cheeks, chin and jaw line can be augmented with dermal fillers (I prefer Restylane Lyft) or facial implants
- most patients fly back home to parts all over the world in as little as 3 days post-op
Not All SMAS Face Lifts Are Created Equal: Release and Reposition for Natural Results
Best to see an experienced facelift specialist
Smas facelift at age 40
Paul Wigoda, MD
- Hello, and thank you for your question. In many instances patients need to consider fat transfer or something to add volume to their faces during the facelift procedure. These can also be performed with injectables however we most commonly used fat at the time of the surgical rejuvenation. I would recommend that you seek out a qualified board certified plastic surgeon to discuss this in full detail. Best of luck.
Worried about SMAS face lift effects
- A SMAS face lift should not affect your eyes -
- Perhaps your friend had other surgery, such as a lower lid procedure to remove fat, that had this effect.
- Also if your friend's face lift was not done by a plastic surgeon, it may have been distorted by using an aggressive suture face lift.
- So please see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon - to discuss your face lift and your concerns so surgical planning can minimize any look you do not like.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.