Sculpsure. Will I need to go off Elmiron for Interstitial Cystitis?

I am considering getting Sculpsure. I am on a drug called Elmiron for Interstitial Cystitis. It is considered a mild anticoagulant. Would I need to go off of it before having Sculpsure?

Should be OK

Elmiron is only a mild blood thinner in your body, so SculpSure would be safe to take during treatment.

Elmira and SculpSure

I would recommend having your Plastic Surgeon and Nephrologist discuss the situation with each other. Making sure your cystitis remains in check is paramount and takes precedent. Every person's situation will differ. As of date, there is no outright, written contraindications to getting SculpSure while you're on Elmiron.

Millicent Odunze-Geers, MD, MPH
Sacramento Physician

Elmiron blood thinner problems?

SculpSure can rarely cause skin bruising in people who bruise with even light touching . This might occur with or without elmiron and should be very mild. Fat has minimal blood circulation and this should not alter its effectiveness.

SculpSure is safe

One of the advantages of SculpSure is the ability to treat patients who are on anticoagulants safely.  So, yes, SculpSure is OK if you are on Elmiron.

Good Luck!

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

SculpSure Indications

Thank you for your question. I will treat patients who are on mild anticoagulants, including aspirin, plavix, coumadin and others. There is a theoretical increase in the potential for bruising, but in my experience this hasn't been the case. I would suggest calling the physician or spa you are scheduled or planning to have SculpSure with to ensure that you are able to continue taking the medication prior to treatment - everyone varies in their recommendations. Best of luck - SculpSure is a great, effective treatment in the right person.