Scar maintenances after breast augmentation.

What's the best thing to apply to under breast incisions to prevent scaring?

Scar treatment after breast augmentation

Our routine is:

1.  keep scar steri-stripped for two weeks

2.  Then, begin daily scar massage, and twice daily application of a silicone based scar product (KeloCote, ScarGuard, ProSil, etc.)

3.  Patients that have a history of unfavorable scars are recommended to use Embrace dressings x 8 weeks, instead of step 2.

Scar Treatment

In my practice I recommend Silicone products and sun protection to improve the appearance of scars. I recommend that you ask your Plastic Surgeon what they recommend for you.
All the best

Scar Management

Best Scar Management is important to minimize or completely hide from view, the telltale signs of your surgery—namely, scars. Both you and your surgeon want you to have the most minimal scarring possible. There are many possible causes for scars that are enlarged or not healing well. Unsightly scars are most commonly due to genetics, underlying medical conditions, or improper scar/wound care. The last part is very important and patients can make a noticeable difference in their scars’ appearance by following best scar management practices. 

Breast Augmentation - Scar Care

Thank you for your question. I instruct all of my patients to perform daily scar massage and apply a silicone based scar ointment or tape to their incisions. Biocorneum makes an excellent product. Please ask your board certified plastic surgeon for specific instructions regarding his or her scar management protocol. Hope this helps!

Breast scars

My usual routine after breast augmentation is to continue steristrips for about 3 weeks to apply pressure as well a reduce tension. After 3 weeks any silicone mechanism will work well. I like a product Scarguard which is liquid silicone painted on like fingernail polish and works for several hours. Good luck.

After re reading your postings it is apparent you need an in person meeting with your chosen operative surgeon to ask ALL you questions, concerns, issues. You have the right to know exactly what to expect, to do following surgery. It appears you were NEVER given any postop instructions?

Scar treatment for breast augmentation

There are many available options for managing scars, some prophylactic (such as silicone) and others interventional (such as lasers).  In my experience, the most reliable scar treatment that is worth the cost is silicone.  Used as an adhesive or a gel, it is easy to apply, and there is ample science to support it, as silicone has been used for decades to treat burn patients.  Most importantly, speak to your plastic surgeon about what they specifically recommend for you.Best of luck,Keith M. Blechman, M.D.New York, NY