Do saline breast implants ever need replacing? Mine are 14 years old.

Do you have to replace your saline implants?

As long as you are still happy with their feel, size, etc., then the short answer is no.  You are at a higher risk for a deflation the longer you have them in, but if that's a risk you are willing to take, you may keep them in until that happens.  Good luck!

Reading Plastic Surgeon

Implant exchange

If the implants are fine then you do not have to do anything. I have patients that have had the same implants for a lot longer than you have.

Do saline implants need replacing?

Thank you for the question.   They are a man made product so there is certainly no guarantee you won't have to have them replaced at some point.  I have patients that have had them in for 20+ years and still look great!   Good Luck

Richard Rosenblum, MD
Virginia Beach Plastic Surgeon

When to replace saline implants?

Thanks for the question. If everything is doing well then there should be no reason to hurry to change them. A lot of people end up switching out their implants if they end up leaking out the saline and lose their shape. Best of luck. 

Patrick L. Basile, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Do saline implants need replacing

As long as your implants are soft, look good and not causing you any problems, there is no need to change them. If contracture occurs, or leakage, then consult with your surgeon.  

Rick Rosen, MD
Norwalk Plastic Surgeon

Saline Implant Replacement

Some people have implants that are 20+ years old and have had no problems with them. As long as they are not losing volume or causing you any reason for concern, then there is really no need to have them replaced.

Lawrence Bundrick, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Implant replacement

I think most Plastic Surgeons do not think implants need to be replaced after ten years. When something about the implants is no longer satisfactory after ten years such as deflation, contraction or other problems then that is the time to seek out implant replacement. I also think that after ten years, if one side deflates for example and a return to the operating room is needed then replacement of the other side is appropriate.

John S. Alspaugh, MD, FACS
Virginia Beach Plastic Surgeon

Most likely not only because everything can wear out or leak. but better products are made today. And additionally the warranties/guarrantees are GREAT! which you do not have at present!!!!!

Thank you for sharing your question.  Assuming your implants are not causing you any issues there is no need to exchange them simply due to age.  At times both saline and silicone implants have the risk of rupture, leakage, contracture, or other issues that may necessitate a revision surgery.  Hope this helps.

Do saline breast implants ever need replacing?

There is no time limit as to when or if you need to exchange your breast implants. I have heard from patients that they have heard that breast implants need to be changed every 10 years. The only reason you need to exchange your breast implants is if you are having a problem with them or if you would like to change the size.
Some of the potential complications that may arise would be deflation, capsular contracture, bottoming out, or just size change. If you are happy with the size of your breast implants and are having no problems, you do not need to do anything.