Will the results of a Brazilian Butt Lift be lost or diminished through continued exercise such as running, squatting, etc?

I enjoy lifting weights and exercising regularly. I'm interested in a Brazilian Butt Lift procedure to give me a voloptuous hour glass figure and bigger, rounder, fuller buttocks. However I'm worried that weight training and growing of the gluteal muscles will cause the volume and fullness from the fat injected into those areas to be lost and the entire producedure will be a waste of money as a result.

Will I loose my BBL?

Excellent question!  When losing weight we always lose body fat. The same is true when losing weight after a BBL. That said, increasing muscle mass will enhance the shape and size of your butt, and this can certainly be done without losing weight, therefore retaining fat from the BBL.

When done correctly with enough fat, it is very hard to lose the the BBL results. In the same way that it is very hard to get ride of love handles. Love handles are famous for not going down much, even if we lose considerable weight. A big portion of the fat we use for the BBL is taken from the love handles. So the "Love handle fat" that was grafted, will behave the same way it did before. Hope this helps.

Best of luck on your procedure!

Dr. Miguel Mota

BBL exercising

long story short: Increasing muscle in the area will only add to the positive effects by increasing the curves in the area.  However, any cardio and or weight loss that accompanies this, can potentially decrease the fat graft just as it would if the graft was still in the abdomen or flanks where it came from.  So, muscle building is fine, weight loss and fat reduction made decrease your result.

Dr. Subbio
Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon
Newtown Square/Philadelphia, PA

Christian Subbio, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Increase in muscle tone will not affect the fat that was grafted. However, losing weight can decrease the fat. Good luck.

Ron Hazani, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills General Surgeon

Exercises after BBL

Thanks for the question. Exercises are good for health and after surgery will improve your look. Kind regards 

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Increasing the muscle mass of the glutes is an independent process and can be done while retaining fat.

BBL

Your buttocks will look slightly smaller than it did right after surgery because the swelling will begin to resolve and some of that fat cells will not survive. Fat survival after fat grafting depends on a few things such as technique used, anatomy, genetics, post operative care etc. Best case scenario, usually about 70% of the transferred fat will survive. Within the first 6 months, about 30% of the fat cells will not survive and will be reabsorbed and passed through your body. Whatever fat is remaining after 6 months is what will remain as long as your weight remains stable. If your overall weight fluctuates, this can affect the fat transferred to the buttocks. Glute targeting exercises shouldn’t make it smaller, it will in fact grow the gluteal muscles, but lots of cardio and weight loss will. You may undergo a second BBL procedure if you have an adequate amount of fat on your body to harvest. Best of luck.
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Exercise and BBL

If you lose weight, then the buttocks will shrink as the rest of the body shrinks.  Best of luck.......