push ups after implants. How long should I wait?

Just wanting to see what the recommendation is for pectoral exercises and push ups after silicone implants placed under the muscle with a breast lift. I have heard no push ups, chest flys for 3 months, or 6 months, or never again!

Push ups after BBA

Hi and thanks for the question. I instruct my patients to wait 12 weeks prior to resuming aggressive chest exercises. You should ask your surgeon the exact amount of time that is recommended for you. Best of Luck - Dr Hardy...

Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Pectoral exercises after augmentation

Ultimately, the only advice that will matter, as far as the restrictions ago, is from your plastic surgeon.
But, as far as my routine, I generally tell the patient no pectoral/chest based exercises until six weeks have gone by. After six weeks, the body has formed a stable scar pocket in which the implant sits. Yes, there will be some changes over the next few months, some settling, some dropping, etc., but generally speaking, the scar pocket is strong enough at that time to withstand typical light pectoral exercise without pushing the implant out of place. I would, of course, modify this advice for a bodybuilder or such.
Dr. Subbio
Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon
Newtown Square/Philadelphia, PA

Christian Subbio, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Pushups after breast augmentation

When there's not a lot of science to rely on, I think you're going to find that there are many answers based on opinions of each surgeon. I let my patients exercise after six weeks. However, I do tell them that increasing the mass and tension of the pectoralis muscle can over time force the implant into the side of the pocket by stretching it. It will then move towards the underarm when laying flat. If someone can avoid those exercises by choice that's my recommendation. Certainly speak with your plastic surgeon as their thoughts may differ. Good luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Exercise after surgery

Thanks for your question. This will vary, and you should ask you surgeon about his/her specific recommendations, but I generally have women avoid weight training exercises that involve the chest muscles for at least 4-6 weeks. Once the incisions are completely healed (2-3 weeks), any type of bra that is comfortable to you is usually Ok. Hope that helps. Best wishes.

Paul J. Leahy, MD
Leawood Plastic Surgeon

Push ups after implants

Great question!  In my practice, I allow patients to return to normal activities at 6 weeks and never restrict pectoral exercises after that 6 week period after surgery.  I usually recommend that they ease into these exercises but that also goes for all activities that they haven't been participating in for the last 6 weeks.  "Never again" is pretty drastic and simply incorrect. 

Daniel Kolder, MD
Camarillo Plastic Surgeon

Physical activity and push ups after br. augmentation

Hi,
 Getting back to the gym and doing excercising is allowable for all patients who are not having a complication.  The timing of this varies due to the plastic surgeons suggestions.  Telling you NEVER means that your lifestyle would be changed and that is not a suggestion in any of the many thousands of breast augmentations that I have done.
 In my practice I have patients back to regular activities and over 2-3 months getting back to EVERYTHING.   This procedure should enhance your life in a so positive way.  Go to an experienced plastic surgeon and get the straight answers.
 Good luck with everything,

Pec exercises

This is a question for your plastic surgeon.  However, in my practice, I'd usually advise patients to refrain from heavy pectorals activities for 6-8 weeks, sometimes less, if things are healing perfectly.

Jeffrey D. Wagner, MD

Exercise following surgery

Thank you for your question. Every surgeon is different on their post-operative regiment. I advise my patient to wait for 6 weeks. 

Best Wishes 
Theodore T. Nyame 

Theodore Nyame, MD
Charlotte Physician

Exercise after implants and mastopexy

In your situation, at a minimum, I would not recommend any push ups, weight lifting for six weeks.  With implants and a lift, I would recommend 2-2 1/2 months before no restrictions.  First, you need the capsule around the implant to heal without undue stretching.  Second, you need to let the muscle heal.  Third, combining with a breast lift puts you at an even higher risk for wound healing and scarring complications.
After 6 weeks, you need to start slow, not because your tissues can't handle it, but your muscle has now lost alot of strength over the last six weeks.  If you attempt to exercise at the level you did before surgery, you will be very sore and could tear your muscle causing the need for an even longer recovery.  
3 months is probably a little too long for you to have to wait, but every individual is different.  I recommend speaking with your surgeon before restarting any exercise program and following their suggestions.

John McFate, MD

Push ups after implants. How long should I wait?

Thank you for your question. I would err on the side of being conservative with pectoral specific exercises and recommend starting 8-10 weeks after surgery.  In order to avoid unnecessary implant pocket stretching and implant malposition, it would be wise to not excessively train your pectorals.  Hope this helps