Post Juvederm pustules cause and treatment? (Photo)

I had Juvederm 3 days ago. On day 2, I noticed minor bruising below my lip. On day 3 I noticed pustules and extreme swelling below my lip. Dr thought cold sore but I had blood work done and that was negative for HSV. It is painful.

Infection after lip injection

It appears to be herpetic with a secondary bacterial infection. I would treat it with Valtrex or acyclovir with doxycycline to cover the bacterial component. You need to go back in to see the doctor that did the injections to get on the proper treatment.

Marietta Oculoplastic Surgeon

Lip pustules following filler injection

it is very likely that this is a prophetic infection. In fact it has the appearance of Herpes Zoster.  A Tzanck test maybe helpful and you can get this from an infectious disease specialist.  You should be on oral medication for this and also topical medication. In agreement with the other comments you should be treated with antiviral medication prophylactically before further lip injections.

Richard O. Gregory, MD

Lip herpes after Juvederm

Any trauma around the lips, such as laser or injections can trigger a herpetic infection.  This is herpes, even if test was negative. You need to be on anti-herpetic medication.  In the future, you should pre-treat as well to try and prevent an outbreak.  

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon

Post Juvederm pustules cause and treatment?

Even with a negative blood test it appears as herpetic issue. Start on Acyclovir RX ASAP. Might also place on PO antibiotics. See a DERMs to evaluate secondarily.....

Post Juvederm outbreak

Continue treatment with prescribed antiviral medication. It is possible to have a false negative blood test yet have the virus. A culture of the pustules and addition of a topical antibiotic, such as Bactroban, would be beneficial. Follow up closely with your Doctor. Best of luck!

Edward J. Gross, MD
Orlando Facial Plastic Surgeon