Is there a possibility of lowering the scar and revising the belly button? (photos)

I had a mommy makeover done 18 month ago and this is currently what it looks like. Since I have an olive skin tone my tummy tuck scar is still visable when wearing a bikini. Is there a possibility of lowering my scar so it falls below the bikini line? In addition what are my options of revising my belly button? My belly button is bigger than it was before and is very noticeable. What would be the downtime and cost of a revision? Are there any other options to correct this?

Tummy tuck revision

Thanks for your question. It may be possible to lower your tummy tuck scar as well as revising your belly button, depending on your physical exam. There is also the possibility that you would need to accept a short vertical scar in order to lower your horizontal incision. In terms of downtime from surgery, it would likely be similar to that of your original operation. 

All the best!

Ottawa Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck scar revision

It will only be possible to lower your scar if you still have some excess skin above or below your belly button.  If that skin is above your belly button, you will have a small vertical scar between your belly button and your bikini line from where your belly button was. 
You will have to decide if this is what you want to do.  Seek an in person consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to get your best and safest evaluation of options.  Nothing replaces an in person examination.

Roxanne Sylora, MD

Scar too high

When performing a tummy tuck, the goal is for the incision to end under your bikini or underwear.  It is possible to lower the incision somewhat, however, you do not have enough skin to lower it sufficiently to under the bikini area.  If this is truly the case, then you would be a candidate for skin expansion with balloons and a revision tummy tuck.  Your umbilicus can be revised as well to pull the scar inside and make it smaller in appearance.  Best of luck, Dr. Michael Omidi

An in-person exam with a board-certified plastic surgeon is the best way to assess your needs and provide true medical advice. The response to the question does not constitute a doctor patient relationship or formal advice.

Michael M. Omidi, MD, FACS

Revision

It is possible to lower the scar with an abdominoplasty revision that advances the superior abdominal wall flap downward, but you will likely have a vertical scar where the current umbilical keyhole is brought down to.   Further weight loss, even though you do not need it, would make the advancement easier to perform.  Best wishes, Dr. T

Revision tummy tuck scar

To revise this scar will require another incision closer to the pubic area.  It should be healed in about 2 weeks.  and may require a drain.   The belly button can be made smaller with a minor procedure.  These can be done at the same time.

John S. Poser, MD
Gainesville Plastic Surgeon

Is there a possibility of lowering the scar and revising the belly button?

It appears from your pre-op photos that your Tummy Tuck incision could have been down to the pubic hair line. It's not clear why it is higher. Also, I would like to see the scar straighter as well as lower. Only a good physical exam can determine if there is adequate laxity to lower the scar. This will require if attempted, complete re-elevation of the flap up to the breast bone and the ribs. Scar quality and color have many determining factors. There may be adjustments in the closure material that could reduce the darkness.

The scar may be able to be lowered

it may be possible to lower your scar - however an in person examination would really help determine how much it can be lowered.  have an in-person consultation to help determine this.  

TT revision

Hello and thanks for the questions. Your scar can be lowered to a position below the bikini line if you have enough skin laxity. The umbilical revision may be difficult unless you are willing to accept a vertical scar below a newly created belly button. This may not be a great option in a patient with olive skin that forms dark scars. 

Ne well. 

DrBurnett#realself100

In my over the internet guess I am sorry this has occurred but I doubt revision to lower the high TT incision is possible. Again sorry.