How normal is post op swelling?

I'm almost a week and a half post op. Got my drains out at a week and I barely had any fluid coming out. Woke up this morning with extreme pain on my left side and it's very swollen and tender and firm to the touch. No signs of infection. I'd take a picture but I just got my bra back on. The doctor's office is closed till Monday and they don't seem to have an after hours line to call. What do I do?

Breast pain and acute swelling

It could represent a hematoma or seroma. It sounds like something that should be addressed ASAP. If  you can not see your surgeon, then you might want to go to the emergency room to be evaluated.

Post op change

An acute change in your condition a week and half after surgery requires immediate evaluation.  Your narrative is concerning for the development of a hematoma.  If you are unable to contact your surgeon, you should be evaluated at a local emergency room.  Good luck.

George Bitar, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Swelling , some advices:

In my practice, after performing a BA I recommend to my patients to limit the movement of the arms for two weeks. After that, you can move your arms taking care and always with common sense. 
In this regard, it's not advisable to carry heavy weights to prevent the implant out of position, and allow the formation of the physiological capsule around the implant, also to avoid pain and breast swelling. 

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

How normal is post op swelling?

Call your surgeon's emergency line to notify him of this issue! Or be at his office at 9 am Monday..