My right nipple looks inverted and smushed. Should I be concerned? (Photo)

I had my breast reduction surgery done yesterday morning at 8 AM. When I peek at my new breasts, the left nipple looks normal with stare strips around the aerola, but my right nipple looks like it is inverted and sinking in. I am nervous that this means there could be something wrong with my right nipple or even a mistake made by my surgeon. Can anyone offer any suggestions as to why it would look like this? Thank you very much!

See your surgeon

You should make an appointment with your plastic surgeon for an in person examination as the symptoms you are describing could indicate a number of things. More pictures would be helpful, but having your doctor examine you and prescribe further treatment is probably necessary.

Good luck!

Swelling?

It might all be due to swelling, but any concerns at this point should be addressed by your surgeon. Best of luck.

Postop

Everything will be swollen at this stage. Once the steristrips are removed the swelling will settle. There is often a lot of swelling and bruising at this stage. If you have concerns you should ask your PS. If you feel that one breast is larger or increasing in comparison to the other then it best to see your PS urgently. The good thing at present is that the nipples have vascularity. 

Gary L. Ross, MBChB, FRCS
Manchester Plastic Surgeon

My right nipple looks inverted and smushed. Should I be concerned?

Thank you for your question.  With all the swelling, bruising and steri strips 1 day after surgery, it's too early to make any judgement on your final result.  As you heal, the swelling subsides and the tissue generally settles down.  By 3 months after surgery, you should have a pretty good idea of your breast appearance.  Be sure to discuss your concerns with your surgeon and go over any additional instructions.  Good luck.

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS