Multiple plastic surgery procedures at once?

I am a previous gastric bypass patient and lost 198lbs, in 2004. I waited until I knew my husband and I were done having children. I want to know if it is safe to have a lower body lift, breast lift and brachioplasty all at once so that I only have one period of recovery downtime. Can all three procedures be done at once?

Multiple procedures together

Hello and thank you for your question. Congratulations on your weight loss. I specialize in post massive weight loss body contouring and frequently perform multiple procedures together. The procedures that you are interested in can definitely be done together.  I do those 3 together 40% of the time.

Whomever you choose make sure that they perform these procedures frequently. 

Peter Fisher M.D 

San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Multiple procedures at once?

Thank you for your question. First i want to congratulate you on your weight loss! You can have these 3 procedures done together, combination procedures are safe and very effective in the right hands.  The surgeon HAS to be an expert in EACH procedure and must have a lot of experience in performing combination procedures and can minimize the operative time.  For example, we work in a team and would take around 4-5 hours for the complete operation.  This allows us to get better results with less surgical time and less trauma. Combination procedures can give powerful results but SAFETY is KEY.  You definitely have to choose your surgeon correctly and make sure that he/she has the training and experience to meet your goals with absolute safety.  Don’t settle for less than a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon with specialized expertise in this procedure.

Multiple procedures

It is often feasible to do multiple procedures at the same time, but doing those 3 together are quite stressful for your body to heal well.  In my opinion, doing a breast lift and brachioplasty together are quite reasonable. Recovery from a lower body lift takes a lot out of you, and I would suggest doing that separately, especially if this includes both stomach and back skin.  Also, your likelihood of having complications increases--this can include problems with blood clots, healing incisions, etc.  It is probably best to try to limit the time in the operating room to 5 hours if possible.

Roxanne Sylora, MD

Multiple procedures after massive weight loss

Hello and thank you for your question. A huge congratulations on your amazing weight loss journey! Multiple procedures can be done at once, but need to be done safely. I often perform surgery for post massive weight loss patients, and I choose to operate in a hospital setting and keep patients overnight for observation and post-operative support. It is tempting to have everything done at once, but safety needs to be the priority. Hope that was helpful to you and good luck!

Tamy M. Faierman, MD
Weston Plastic Surgeon

Planning repair after massive weight loss

Thank you for asking about your body lifting.

• Congratulations on your weight loss - a great achievement!
  • A lot depends on your current height, weight and health.
  • Generally, the body lift is done with just one other procedure, such as the breast lift.
  • But it is certainly possible to do them all at once, provided for safety, surgery doesn't take longer than 6 hours 

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

The problem with doing these procedures all at once is twofold. You will not have an area of your body that is untouched by surgery. You need to consider how you will get out of bed and walk immediately after surgery. This is to decrease the risk of a blood clot. The other issue is the total amount of time it will take in the operating room to do all these procedures. Contrary to what the other surgeon said, it is well documented that complications increase after four hours of a general anesthetic. To do these procedures properly, it will take 8-10 hours to complete it. I recommend to my patients separating the top and the bottom. Usually we will do the breast and arms together and the lower body lift at a separate time with a minimum of eight weeks between procedures.