Miami Area breast augmentation with multiple sclerosis. What surgeons are willing to do this?

I was diagnosed with MS in 1999 and was started on Avonex which has stopped disease progression. I was ready to have a breast lift and augmentation when the doctor backed out because of my MS. I still work full time and have littlie limitation beyond avoiding heat. I was going to the Miami area due to the lower prices so I am would prefer to have it in a clinic setting VS hospital to keep expenses down. My PCP and Neuro have cleared me for surgery. What surgeons are willing to do this?
Click here to search for board certified surgeons in your area.

Breast augmentation in a patient with MS?

I think Dr. Edwards has given an excellent answer, and I too have performed this operation on several women with MS without worsening of their symptoms, and have done so under TIVA (general) anesthesia. I would suspect that you could find several excellent, experienced, ABPS-certified plastic surgeons in your area who do lots of breast surgery and have performed this procedure on MS patients as well. Call and ask.

While some surgeons may perform above the muscle augmentation under local anesthesia with sedation, in my experience (prior to offering full anesthesia services and TIVA) we often ended up using even MORE intravenous sedative medication and amnestic drugs to keep patients comfortable and not moving than we do with our TIVA (total intravenous anesthesia--non-nitrous, non-inhalation gas anesthesia) regimen. This is decidedly NOT superior or "safer" than a skillfully-performed general anesthesia. With TIVA I can offer completely-asleep and unaware comfort with submuscular augmentation, which most plastic surgeons agree has the lowest risk of capsular contracture by isolating the implant from intraductal bacteria.

If your surgeon "backed out" because of lack of experience with MS patients, perhaps this was a good thing for you. Now you just have to find another surgeon who is willing to work with your personal physician and neurologist to provide you the safest and best operation possible. All surgery has some risk, even elective aesthetic surgery, so choose carefully and have surgery only by an ABPS-certified plastic surgeon, who is required by our national society guidelines to operate ONLY at accredited surgical facilities with appropriate anesthesia providers. Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Can you have breast surgery with Multiple Sclerosis?

MS is a condition that waxes and wanes with time and levels of stress. If your MS is stable and you are under the care of a neurologist, a board-certified plastic surgeon should be able to care for you. I have performed breast augmentation in patients who have MS and to date have not had a patient have worsened symptoms but this is up to you, your neurologist and your board-certified plastic surgeon to decide.

I wish you well

Dr. Edwards

Miami Area breast augmentation with multiple sclerosis. What surgeons are willing to do this

Yes many of us boarded Plastic Surgeons offer implants in MS patients. Needed would be medical clearances within 4 months. Fees are based upon the type of implant used - saline $4,500 vs silicone $5,500 ranges. Best to see a few of us in person... Good luck. 

I do not think that you will have any trouble finding a good board certified plastic surgeon to help you. I would suggest starting with the American Society of Plastic Surgery and/or the Aesthetic Society of Plastic Surgery to obtain a list of well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.

Then, I would suggest you visit a few surgeons whose practices concentrate on aesthetic surgery. Ask to see lots of examples of their work and preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures done.   Best wishes.

Breast Augmenation Under Local Anaesthesia with MS is reasonable avoid general anesthesia

I think you should be able to find many surgeons wiling to do this.  I would definitely not offer you general anesthesia however.  The potential downside makes it completely unreasonable for an elective procedure in my opinion.  I would handle your case under local anesthesia with light oral sedation only.  I would look for surgeons comfortable with this.  Unfortunately surgeons comfortable skilled and willing to do this are usually not the cheapest.  I have plenty experience doing so in a technique called Cold-Subfascial Breast Augmentaion with tear drop "gummy bear" implants but I am one of the most expensive surgeons in Florida for breast augmentation surgery.  I would strongly recommend finding a surgeon comfortable and experienced in breast augmentation under local or just avoid the surgery.  I hope this helps!

Rian A. Maercks M.D.