Medial thigh lift post 3 weeks. Is this fluid normal? (Photo)

I had a thigh lift on 9-16-16 and I got my drains taken out a week after I have a site open on the left big and on the right a small hole and last night till today I've had a lot of Serous Fluid coming out that even goes through the dressing and through my clothes is this normal

Thigh lift complications

This is the most common complication after a medial thigh lift - a breakdown or dehiscence of the incision at the inner upper thigh.  It is so common that I thoroughly prepare all of my patients for this risk, so they almost expect it - even though it doesn't happen every time.  Standard wound care should allow it to heal up well with hidden scars, although you can expect some drainage in the meantime.  

Houston Physician

Medial thigh lift, 3 weeks postop. Is this fluid normal?

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs and I am sorry to see your areas of wound breakdown.  Though not normal it is not uncommon to have small areas of incision separation that require local wound care.  Your surgeon will be your best resource, but often this involves placement of saline soaked gauze into the wound, changed daily, to maintain the wound clean and allow your body to heal from the inside-out.  Hope this helps. 

Drainage with a thighlift

A thighlift is a difficult procedure to heal from and can take a long time. After surgery if the wound opens up, there can be drainage and it just depends on the person how much. In some cases you can have very little or you may feel like every time you move you are leaking like crazy.  As a general rule of thumb, the drainage is better out than in.  If the wound is draining serous, it is nothing to be concerned with.  I would recommend changing the dressings as often as needed and keep the area clean.  It may take a  few weeks for the larger hole to heal, but they will close down. Stay patient. If you start running a temperature or notice any odor or change in color of the drainage call your PS immediately. Good luck with healing.

Francis Johns, MD
Greensburg Plastic Surgeon

Wound healing problems

Fluid production by your open wounds is a normal process. The bigger dehiscence on your left will require surgical closure in due time. The smaller one may heal well by second intention. Please follow up closely with your plastic surgeon until the wounds have healed.

All the best

Afschin Ghofrani, MD
Dubai Plastic Surgeon

Fluid post thigh lift

It is normal to have fluid (seroma) produced after surgery for body contouring such as a tummy tuck or thigh lift. The can take a few weeks to settle, sometimes longer.The holes in your wounds act as a drainage site for the fluid to come out and sometimes it is a lot! You must try and keep the area clean to reduce the chance of infection. I would see your surgeon sooner than later to make sure he is happy with your progress.