Which laser skin resurfacing treatment best for sun spots and broken capillaries: fractora or whisper? (photo)

Sun spots and capillaries

My personal preference for the treatment of sun damage and visible vessels is broad band light (BBL). BBL is a form of intense pulsed light, and can very successfully treat pretty much anything that is brown or red in the skin. It has no downtime, and has even been shown to cause skin preservation when performed regularly. See someone with extensive experience as results are very technique dependent. If you are looking for wrinkle reduction or texture improvement, consider the Halo laser. Amazing results with little to no downtime.

Andrew Campbell, M.D.

Facial Rejuvenation Specialist

Quintessa Aesthetic Centers

Milwaukee Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sun Spot Solutions-Pulsed Dye Laser, Excel V, IPL

There are a few options. The best treatments are vascular lasers such as pulsed dye laser and Excel V.  IPL is good in the right hands, but has more risk of complications and doesn't last as long in my opinion. See an expert for a formal evaluation. Best, Dr. Emer.

Laser resurfacing

Careful skin evaluation and skin typing is required to answer your question of which laser is best for you. If you are a Fitzpatrick I-IV, you may respond well to light therapy plus resurfacing. I prefer to use one of these approaches with my patients - 1) Mixto ablative fractional CO2 laser to improve the skin quality, reduce sun damage, pores, fine wrinkles - then CynoSure Icon Max G for clean up of residual vessels and pigment at a later date - or - 2) CynoSure Icon Max G treatment first to reduce pigment and vessels, followed by MiXto laser resurfacing on the same day. Typically the Max G treatment has no social down time. The MiXto has 5-7 days of social down time depending on the settings. The MiXto may be used in all skin types, but with caution in V and VI to avoid hypopigmentation. The Max G may be used up to skin type IV - pre-treatment with skin brighteners, use of the Skintel technology, and a test spot help to minimize potential for hypopigmentation after treatment. In my patient population, smokers seem to be at greater risk for hypopigmentation - so I adjust settings accordingly. Best wishes with your decision.

Sara A. Kaltreider, MD
Charlottesville Oculoplastic Surgeon

Skin resurfacing and treatment for sun spots and broken capillaries

My treatment of choice for your situation is IPL with the Icon Max G for the discolorations and vascular lesions, then follow up with the non-ablative fractional Icon 1540 to improve texture.  An advantage the Icon platform has is that it has the Skintel device that measures melanin to provide parameters for safe and effective treatment.  Please see an experienced clinician for an evaluation and treatment options.

Ramon Peleaux, DDS, MD
Charlotte Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

BBL from Sciton will be a great fit for both concerns

Thanks for your questions.

BBL from Sciton can treat both facial blood vessels and red and/or brown photo damaged skin or spots.

There is usually no down time. You may need 3-5 treatments.

Dr. Kevin Belasco, Newport Beach, CA

Kevin T. Belasco, DO
Newport Beach Dermatologist

Best laser for sun spots and broken blood vessels

At our practice we typically recommend a thorough skin evaluation and consultation with our medical aesthetician who will address the unique needs of your skin to customize a treatment plan.

IPL Photofacials, Alex TriVantage and Vbeam Perfecta Laser are a great combination of improving the skin's overall redness and sun damage with the photofacial, using targeted energy of the pulsed dye laser (Vbeam) to reduce the appearance of the broken blood vessels as well as treat sun spots with the q-switched laser (Alex) which is safe for skin types I-III.

For home care regimens we suggest Redness Relief Calmplex by Skin Medica with TNS Recovery Complex and Lytera Skin Brightening Cream.  Sunscreen in mineral based formulation delivers broad spectrum protection and can be found in tinted oil-free formulations such as Elizabeth Arden Rx Triple Protection Factor SPF 50.

Hope this helps.  Good luck.

David Shafer, MD

Laser treatment of facial vessels

This patient with facial vessels is asking which laser is better for resurfacing. There is not a simple answer to this and it depends on a variety of factors including patient's skin color. There is a tendency for a laser therapist, whether a physician or a spa technician to recommend the particular laser they have. Unfortunately lasers are not equivalent, even when of the same type. Also a single laser does not treat all skin types equally well.  Keep in mind that resurfacing lasers are not the best lasers for treating vessels. Therefore it is better to go to a physician that has a variety of lasers available to treat a wide variety of patients.

Richard O. Gregory, MD