What kind of procedure will help with my tuberous breasts? Any doctors that specialize or have plenty of experience with this? (

I have been unhappy with the size and shape of my breasts for years. From what I have researched I seem to have tuberous breasts and my right breast is bigger than my left one. I have finally made up my mind to get breast augmentation. I need some help figuring out what procedure would be best for me and finding an experienced doctor. I am 23 years old, Have 1 child, 5'5, and currently 160 lbs (I'm still working on losing all the weight I gained during pregnancy 20lbs down, 20 more to go)

Tuberous breasts

Tuberous breasts are a result of a constricted lower pole, with a breast fold that is often positioned higher than is aesthetically pleasing. Herniation of the breast glandular tissue into the areola often occurs too. 
The best approach to correct this is through a sub glandular breast augmentation, with carefully placed incisions within the breast tissue itself to release the constrictions. The breast fold is lowered and typically a silicone implant is then placed, often textured to prevent downward displacement of the implant. This is usually performed through an incision along the border of the areola. 

Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

?Tuberous breasts

Your breasts do have a moderately shortened nipple to fold distance and perhaps mild herniation into the areola but not severe. Augmentation, tyopically through a periareolar approach, release of the inferior pole breast tissue and maybe or maybe not a small lift to lengthen the nipple to fold distance depending on your final size goal. A board certified plastic surgeon with a busy augmentation componemt to their practice should be able to handle this for you. I know numerous qualified surgeons in the Tampa/Orlando area so you should have no need to travel.

Robert H. Hunsaker, MD

Tuberous breasts

From the photos you posted it does appear that you have tuberous breasts. These cases are more challenging than a standard breast augmentation but you should be able to achieve a nice result. You should be able to get a very nice result with any board certified plastic surgeon who does breast augmentation as a regular part of their practice. It is important that you communicate your goals with the surgeon and that you have realistic expectations. During you consultation your surgeon will talk about your anatomy and how that will influence your result. Your surgeon will use a set of techniques that are commonly used for patients with tuberous breasts. Good luck.

Dr J

Justin West, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Tuberous breast deformity and anatomic implants

Hi, you do appear to have a mild form of tuberous breast deformity.  Asymmetry is very common in these cases as well.  In your case, a reduction of the size of the nipple-areolar complex, release of the tight breast tissue, and placement of anatomic implants would improve the size and symmetry of your breasts.  However, you should keep in mind that you will probably never be 100% symmetrical (and in fact most women aren't).  I suggest calling several board-certified plastic surgeons in your area, and asking if the doctor has experience with the treatment of tuberous breasts.  This is a challenging problem for both the patient and surgeon, so it's in your best interest to work with someone who has performed many of these surgeries.  Good luck, /nsn.

Nina S. Naidu, MD, FACS

Breast augmentation and one sided lift may be best option for tuberous breast

Thank you for your question.  You have a very mild form of tuberous breasts fortunately.  A simple breast augmentation with a mastotomy to release constricting bands within the breast should give you a nice result.  If you want symmetry a periareolar breast lift on the larger side can be done.  Not all plastic surgeons are comfortable treating tuberous breasts.  It is important that you specifically inquire of board certified plastic surgeons in your area if they do tuberous breast augmentation.

Correction of tuberous breasts

Thank you for your pictures.  I would recommend a saline breast augmentation and periareola mastopexy.  This will equalize your volume and improve the shape and puffiness of your areola.  

Tuberous breast management

Thank you for your question.  Your breasts have some degree of tuberosity.  Although a physical exam is needed to make any formal recommendations, I would likely recommend an augmentation with a periareolar approach.  Through this approach, you would likely benefit from a radial release of the constriction bands (bands of tissue) contribution to the conical shape to your breasts.   A periareolar reduction may also be warranted as well.   I would recommend you consider silicone implants or the Allergan 410 implants.   Please visit with a board certified plastic surgeon for a consultation.
Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

What kind of procedure will help with my tuberous breasts? Any doctors that specialize or have plenty of experience with this?

Thank you for the question and pictures.

Yes, I think your breasts do demonstrate some of the characteristics seen with tuberous (constricted) breasts.  There are lots of variations of tuberous breasts.

Some of the characteristics seen with tuberous breasts include a very narrow base, short distance from areola to inframammary fold, tight (constricted) lower pole of the breasts, relatively wide space between the breasts, "puffy" areola and some degree of ptosis (drooping).  

Generally,  correction of tuberous breast anomalies involves breast augmentation with areola reduction / mastopexy procedure. The distance from the inframammary fold is increased (to create a more rounded out appearance). Proper breast implant selection/positioning improves the distance (cleavage) between the breasts  and will help improve the symmetry of the breasts as well. The areola reduction helps to treat the pointed and "puffy" appearance of the areola.

In your case, if the appearance/shape/size of the breasts are a concern,  you may be an excellent candidate for corrective surgery.  You are wise to achieve your long-term stable weight prior to proceeding with surgery; careful selection of your plastic surgeon will also be important. Exactly what operation would help you will depend on a full communication of your goals. Based on  your question and pictures provided,  a breast augmentation as well as an areolar skin/tissue  reduction  will serve to significantly improve the shape/contour of your breasts.    

You may find the attached link, dedicated to tuberous/constricted breasts concerns, helpful.

Seek a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to Treast Tuberous Breasts

Those with #TuberousBreasts are ideal candidates for #BreastLifts. Also, women with asymmetric or enlarged nipples or areolae (pigmented areas around nipples) also may be candidates for a breast lift or a modification of a lift. #Asymmetric breast can be adjusted by adding or removing volume. One side can be tightened more or less than another. In addition #BreastImplants commonly complement a Breast Lift (#Mastopexy) . Such is called #AugmentationMastopexy.

Without the Breast Lift, the breasts may appear larger and more droopy with solely implants. They will sag more and sooner, due to the sudden and excess weight. It's also possible for a “Snoopy” breast or double bubble to develop as a result. The implant with lift can also re-position the nipples which may have been affected by ptosis or drooping. One of the primary intentions of a Breast Lift (#Mastopexy) is to improve the shape and position of the breast without reducing their size. It is used especially for breasts which sag or droop (#ptosis). Both procedures are commonly done together, in the same surgery to correct the effects sagging and turberous breasts.

The procedure should be performed by a #PlasticSurgeon who is board-certified and has a great deal of experience specializing in cosmetic #surgery. You will then greatly improve your chances of getting the result you desire, and, without the need for a revision surgery. I suggest you view before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.

Tuberous Breasts

Tuberous breast deformity involves a constricting ring that grows around the breast base. This ring stops the horizontal and/or vertical expansion of the breast, leading to constricted appearance with large areolas and irregular nipples.The constricted tissue needs to be released and implants placed to add volume (if desired). Achieve your ideal weight, then consider surgery. Best of luck.

Jerome Edelstein, MD