Will breasts increase or decrease once they drop? How long do you have to wait to change and get larger implants?

I am one week post and i received 450 nd 475 cc high profile silicon implants but not happy with the size. I am 5'6 and 169lbs i tried on sizers before and felt that 450cc was too big but once in they look really small. I am hoping that once my breast drop they will look bigger.

Healing takes time

Swelling after surgery can take many months to resolve.  During this time, the breasts will become smaller.  Settling of the breasts and implants per se will not change the size but will change the shape of the breasts.  It is best to wait for these changes over 4 months or so to get a better idea how you will look.  Also living with your new appearance for months may help you decide if you want another change in your breasts.

Port Saint Lucie Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question. Wait 4 to 6 months for  healing after which you can see the final results.

Good Luck. 

It is too soon to have an exchange. I would suggest waiting 4-6 months for the breasts to settle first.  Best of luck.

Unhappy with size one week after surgery

At 1 week after surgery, your chest is still significantly swollen.  The shape will continue to change over the next 4-6 months.  I would encourage you to wait until the changes have stopped before considering changing the implants. First, as the swelling goes down, your body will adjust to the shape and weight of the implants, and they will look different in shape.  This may make them seem different in appearance due to increasing curves; much of breast "size" interpretation really has to do with the shape.  When there is a lot of swelling, there are less curves which may make things seem smaller.  As the swelling comes down, the curves at the top of the breast become more pronounced, and as they drop the bottom tends to round out more.  Both of these changes may make a difference to you in how they look.

The other reason to wait a while is  that you still have some swelling for a few months; if you change your implants too soon, you may not be accounting for some swelling which will go away.  Just like any cosmetic surgery, the more stable your appearance before surgery, the better result you are likely to achieve.

Seek a plastic surgeon certified by The American Board of Plastic Surgery to help get the most educated answers.

Roxanne Sylora, MD

Breast implant sizing

Hi - your breasts will not increase in size but the shape should improve as the implants drop. You are still very early post op and have large implants for your height and weight.

Good question to ask "M."  It's very early and with the lack of skin relaxation, swelling and maybe some muscle spasm your breasts can be expected to look much better in the next several weeks.  They won't become bigger but may look bigger with tissue relaxation and better shaping.  You're implants are fairly large and likely will give you a satisfying look in time.  

Jon A Perlman MD FACS 

Certified, American Board of Plastic Surgery 

Extreme Makeover Surgeon ABC TV

Best of Los Angeles Award 2015, 2016 

Beverly Hills, Ca

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Choosing the correct implants

Hello,  thank you for your question.  Unfortunately NO.  When the implants drop the breast size will decrease a little bit.  But there's not much of a difference between the implants volumes 455 and 499 cc.  So,  the next time you are decide to re operate your breast try to pick a bigger implants if you want another result.  Always consult with a certified plastic surgeon in your area for a correct treatment. Have a great day. 

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

Concerns after breast augmentation

Its normal to have concerns after the surgery, especially if you think the implants may be too large or too small. The size of the implants(450/475) will make a significant difference in your appearance. These implants are large. When placing the implants in a submuscular pocket, the muscle squeezes the implant toward the chest. This decreases the distance the nipple moves off the chest, and the breast appears flatter and rounder than you like. Over time, the muscle relaxes, the nipple pushes out and you get more cup size. I would wait at least 3 months before deciding on an implant change. Its more important to have pretty breasts than large breasts. The larger the implant the greater the complication rate.

Eric Weiss MD

Eric Weiss, MD, FACS
Orange Park Plastic Surgeon

Without posted photos very hard to advise, So best to seek paid second in person opinions. I recommend if second operation to increase size of implants is needed do at 3 months- 6 months postop. There will be new fees involved!

Too small after breast augmentation surgery…

I'm sorry to hear about the concerns you are experiencing after breast surgery. Given that you are very fresh out of surgery, it is quite likely that you are experiencing significant “emotional ups and downs” unnecessarily. You should be aware that a significant percentage of patients at your stage of recovery will feel that they are too big or (more commonly) too small. I routinely ask my patients to wait at least 3-6 months before evaluating the end results of the breast augmentation surgery. This waiting time allows patients to (usually) physically and psychologically adapt to the new body image. 

In other words, it is much too early to evaluate the outcome of the procedure performed; your breasts will undoubtedly change over the course of the next several weeks/months.   The vast majority of patients with your concerns at your stage in the recovery process, turn out to be much happier two to three months after the procedure was performed.

For example, many of my patients report that as the swelling around the breast implants (for example, in the sternal area) decreases, they feel that their breasts appear more projecting. Also, in my opinion, the "drop and fluff” phenomenon does hold some validity; as breast implants “settle”, many patients feel that their breasts actually look larger. 

Although online consultants cannot predict whether or not you will be pleased with the long-term outlook, of the procedure performed, it is safe to predict that the breasts will change. Do your best to stay emotionally even keeled. I would suggest continued patience and continued close follow-up with your plastic surgeon.

Best wishes for an outcome that you will be pleased with longer-term.