I have a repaired umbilical hernia. How long does the mesh usually last?

I have a repaired umbilical hernia. Its been fine for over 5 years but now its starting to ache a bit. I gained a little weight and it seems as if it has bulged out some. I can push it back in but i am troubled that i can do so... Is this normal?

Recurrence of a belly button hernia

Mesh is often permanent or semi-permanent. You may have a recurrence of your hernia. Best, Dr. KaramanoukianLos Angeles

Hernia mesh

Thanks for your question, drobb11.  It is not possible to answer your question without knowing the kind of mesh employed for your repair.  Some meshes are permanent, while others resorb.  Sometimes that are applied as a sheet to reinforce a hernia repair, and others time they are used as a plug in the defect in the abdominal wall.  Regardless, you should be assessed by an experienced hernia surgeon.  Physical discomfort and a bulge may be a sign of a recurrent hernia.  It would be important to make the diagnosis so that you could consider treatment before the condition progresses or before you suffer a complication from the hernia.  Best of luck!

Larry Lickstein, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon