I am mixed and the color of Alicia Keys. Have 10 sunspots on my face. What peel would be good for removing the spots?

I have combo skin, its clear small fine lines. and no breakouts. I have sun-damage even-though I wear sunblock religiously. I changed sunscreens b/c the one I was using wasn't working well apparently. I wear a french sunblock which is wonderful. I'm 36, and apply a sensitive skin retinoid cream currently and apply vit c and sunscreen during the day. I am sensitive to the sun but current sunblock is working great.

Cocoa colored skin with sun spots ? Rx

You are already doing the single most important thing, using a daily sunblock - which should be at least a 60 SPF.  Retinoids are very helpful and selecting one that you can tolerate for daily use is best.  Depending on the degree of your "sun spots" some gentle light treatments also may be helpful as can be resorcinol or glycolic peels.

Miami Dermatologic Surgeon

Peels for Sun Damage

Hello, and thank you for your question! It sounds as if you are doing a lot of things very right! I love that you are using a retinoid, a vitamin C, and good sunscreen. I always tell my patients that the best offense is a good defense. If you are interested in adding peels into your skincare regimen, I would caution you that a single peel will not remove sun spots, and while peels can definitely fade this type of pigment, they usually will not remove it completely. However, peels will reverse many of the signs of aging in addition to fading sun spots, and if you would be satisfied with this, I would recommend a series of 4-6 mild Jessner's peels, such as the Vitalize from SkinMedica. I hope this helps, and good luck!

Vi peel, Heliocare, and Hyperpigmentation

For darker skin types including light brown & brown skin, a Vi precision plus peel is safe and helps in improving sun spots of the skin. For lightening sun spots, the initial treatment series may take three peels 4-6 weeks apart. After, peels are often recommended as beneficial quarterly throughout the year for maintenance. In addition to your at home skin care, consider taking the over the counter supplement Heliocare 1-2 tabs daily. It has antioxidants that provides additional sun protection, pigmentation protection, and anti-aging benefits.

Anita Saluja, MD
Melbourne Dermatologist