I had gynecomastia as well as abdominal lipo done 7-11-16. I was not given a chest compression garment 1week later on 7-18-16

the nurse told me that wasn't good. Will I have bad results going a full week without the compression vest?

​Following Your Gynecomastia Surgery

Following #Gynecomastia #surgery, your incisions will go through a maturation #process. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely.

Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Compression vest after gynecomastia surgery

I do recommend compression garments in my patients after liposuction and gynecomastia surgery.  They can help to limit early bruising and can help swelling to resolve.   If more blood than usual builds up under the skin, it would be possible to have enough of a blood collection (hematoma) that could lead to some contraction and puckering of the skin.  But if you were fortunate and didn't have unusual bruising then the only effect of not having the garment immediately may be taking a little longer for the swelling to resolve.  It would be worth having your doctor check you earlier if you are worried.  The final result should be the same.  I recommend wearing compression garments of some kind for 6 weeks.  If the gynecomastia vest is too cumbersome under work clothes, some of my patients switch to a sleeveless compression shirt in one size smaller than they normally might wear.  But again, the best source of information is your doctor. Good Luck.

Jonathan Hall, MD

Liposuction garments

I am a great believer in garments for lipo. However, I feel your final result from your lipo will probably be fine, but be delayed due to a longer time for the swelling to disappear. Follow with your surgeon. Good luck.