I am contemplating a tummy tuck and under muscle implants. What's the minimum time off would you recommend?

I'm a dental hygienist and work four ten hr dys

Post-Op Mommy Makeover Healing

Healing after the procedure will take time. I have my patients out of bed and walking the night of surgery and every hour while awake. I allow my patients to return to work at one to two weeks with 14 days preferred. No lifting or straining. At three weeks increased level of activity and full, no restrictions, at 6 weeks. This may vary with the surgeon and procedures that you choose, so he will be able to answer most definitely for you. Good luck.

How much time off from work?

It's very exciting that you have decided to move forward with mommy makeover surgery.  It is an incredibly life-changing procedure!  If you were my patient, I would recommend that you take anywhere from 10-14 days off from work.  I wouldn't want you going back until your drains were out and you felt comfortable on your feet.  You should ask your plastic surgeon what he/she recommends.  Best of luck!

Mommy Makeover - Return to work?

Thank you for your question. 2 - 3 weeks should be enough time for you to recover from your mommy makeover and return to work. However, I would avoid any heavy lifting as you will probably still be sore from the muscle repair. Please discuss your specific concerns with your board certified plastic surgeon. Hope this helps and good luck.

Recovery time

Recovery time will vary person to person, but in general you can expect to be off work 2-3 weeks.  It would probably be beneficial to you if you could "ease" back into work.  Perhaps be off for 2 weeks, but then when you resume only work part time for a week.  You will be worn out when you first begin working.  Don't worry.  Your stamina will improve over time.

Camille Cash, MD

Minimum Time Off After Mommy Makeover Surgery

Patients heal at different rates, in general I tell my patients to plan on being off work for a minimum of 10 days to two weeks. However, depending on how strenuous your work is you may need more time off, talk to your surgeon who knows you best. Good luck.

Miguel Delgado, MD

Time off for implants and tummy tuck

On average, most do reasonably well with 3 weeks. You work long days and would likely have a tough time resuming a full schedule with only 2 weeks recovery.  

After any type of surgery one often feels more tired, and has less endurance/stamina for even routine things, so be careful to overestimate your ability or pain tolerance.  Sometimes it is just fatigue that slows you down as much as discomfort.

Seek a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery for your care.

Roxanne Sylora, MD

What's the minimum time off work after mommy makeover surgery?

“Recovery time” will vary from one patient to another depending on the exact procedures performed, the patient's medical/psychological baseline health, and overall “attitude” (and how you define "recovery"). In my opinion, the recovery periods associated with these procedures are often underestimated by patients and their plastic surgeons. In my practice, I would suggest that you take at least 2 to 4 weeks off work, given the relatively active occupation you have.  Of course, your plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to returning to specific activities/work, given that he/she knows you best, how you are progressing, and whether or not you have experienced any complications.

Since you are considering undergoing major surgery (involving significant physical and psychological recovery often underestimated by patients and their plastic surgeons) the following words of advice may be helpful to you:

1. Make sure you are doing the procedure for the right reasons (for yourself) and that you have realistic expectations. Be aware that an improvement in the “problem area” may not translate to an overall improvement in your life situation. You are bound to be disappointed with results of the procedure if your motivation for doing the surgery is not internally driven.
2. Time your surgery carefully; generally, it is not a good idea to have surgery done during or immediately after a stressful period in life (for example divorce or death of a loved one). The additional stress of surgery will undoubtedly be more challenging to deal with if a patient's emotional reserves our already exhausted. Remember, that an improvement in your physical appearance will not translate to an improvement in your life situation.
3. If possible speak to patients who have undergone similar procedures and query them about the toughest times of their recovery period. Any practical hints previous patients can provide may be very helpful.
4. Make sure you are aware of potential complications that may arise how to reach your surgeon if necessary.
5. Make sure you have a strong and patient support system (several people if possible) in place who have time/patience to take care of you. Arrange for professional nursing if any doubt exists regarding the availability and/or stamina of your caretakers.
6. Be patient with the healing process, understanding that it will take several weeks to months to feel “normal” again. It may also take many months/year to see the end results of your surgery.
7. Be prepared to distract your mind with things of interest such as books, magazines, and movies.
8. Expect less of yourself; do not go back to work, school or chores too early and let others take care of you (for a change).
9. Pick your surgeon carefully (a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon) and trust in his/her advice. Keep in close communication with your surgeon and do not hesitate to communicate questions/concerns and the emotional swings that you may experience.
10. Resume all medications that you were using preoperatively when cleared by your plastic surgeon and stop the use of narcotics and sedatives as soon as feasible after surgery.
11. Keep in mind the end results as you go through the tougher emotional times after your surgery.I hope this, and the attached link, helps. Best wishes.

Multiple procedures, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.
For safety reasons, to be a good candidate for those procedures at the same time, your labs and cardiovascular preoperative evaluation must be optimal.
Therefore, you must be a healthy person, within an appropriate BMI and no history of diseases that increase the surgical / anesthetic risk degree.
Finally, I recommend you a skilled certified plastic surgeon in body contouring surgery and experienced in cases like yours where the planned operating time is less than five hours.
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Minimum time off for tummy tuck and breast augmentation?

Hello and thank you for your question. There is certainly a bell curve with recovery, but when there is a tummy tuck involved, I recommend taking at least 2 weeks off of work completely. Some find they need to ease back into work that next week back. It would be ideal if you could schedule half days your first week back, as you will be more tired than usual. A 10-hr day right off the bat might be taxing. That being said, I have had patients who have no problem going back to normal work activity after 2 weeks. I always want my patients to be prepared if it is more challenging for them, and be pleasantly surprised if it isn’t. Good luck!

Ashley Gordon, MD

Thank you for your question and congratulations on your decision to pursue surgery.  In most cases of a mommy makeover the tummy tuck portion of the procedure is the limiting factor during recovery and I typically recommend at least 2 weeks off of work.  Your surgeon will be able to better delineate a recovery schedule based on the anticipated surgical procedures and the amount of work each will entail.