I do not like the way my cheeks look when I smile. What can be done about this? (Photo)

I feel that my smile lines are too deep and my mouth appears down turned and sunken. What is the cause of this and is there any way to improve it?

Gummy smile

In the photo your gums are visible above your upper teeth. Some people call this a "gummy smile".  If it bothers you, it can usually be improved with a small amount of Botox.  This might also make the nasolabial folds less prominent when you smile.  Botox for gummy smile should be conservative (small number of units) and done by an expert.

Regards,

Dr. Ort

Lone Tree Dermatologic Surgeon

Cheek Enhancement

Dear Sea_Witch:

Looking at your photos, you would benefit from mild cheek reflation with a filler like Voluma which in turn will lift and soften up your smile lines.  Please consult an expert injector but best treatment outcomes.  Best wishes.

I do not like the way my cheeks look when I smile. What can be done about this?

Hello, and thanks for your question and photo. You would likely benefit from dermal fillers, but it is difficult to recommend a specific plan without seeing a photo of your full face at rest. However, I think you would benefit from a small amount of Voluma in your cheeks. Voluma is a thicker HA filler that is meant to be placed deep so as to provide structure and lift. Once the Voluma is in place, you may also decide to have some filler placed in your tear troughs, so as to produce a more rested look. You also may benefit from some filler placed directly into the nasolabial lines (i.e., "smile lines"), but these lines may soften to your liking with the Voluma alone. In order to determine the best treatment plan for you, I recommend an in-person consultation with an expert. Hope this opinion is helpful to you. Best of luck, Dr. Frucht.  

Corey Frucht, MD, PhD
Santa Barbara Dermatologic Surgeon