How low is too low for a Hemoglobin level to be approved for Breast augmentation?

I am scheduled for my pre-op appt very soon and I am afraid of the results of my CBC. I have always been anemic and have never had much luck with adsorption using oral Fe. My Hgb averages around 9 to 10g/dl normally. Could this cause a delay in surgery?

How low should your hemoglobin be for a breast augmentation?

This is dependent upon the policy and rules of your anesthesia team and the facility where you are having the procedure done. Personally, I would like to see hemoglobin of 11 or more. Anything less than that means that you have some issue going on that should be worked up. Your family doctor or internist would be your best choice for that.

There is rarely much blood loss with a BA, but anemia should be assessed before undergoing cosmetic surgery.
Best of luck to you

Low hemoglobin for surgery?

Generally speaking, in young patients having elective surgery with little anticipated blood loss, a lower than normal blood count will often be tolerated. At levels 9 or less most anesthesia providers start to raise questions. Check with your surgeon and their anesthesiologist for their recommendations.  Good luck with your surgery.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Thank you for your excellent question.  It is always best to work with your general practice or internal medicine physician to identify the cause of your anemia and insure that it can not be treated in some way.  If there are no identifiable causes, and you have little symptoms from being at this level, you are likely safe to have a breast augmentation as any blood loss is minimal.  This is a case of better safe than sorry, so be sure to have this thoroughly investigated.