How many grafts do I need? (Photos)

I have gone to two different places, one told that I would need 1200 grafts and the other one told me I would need about 2000-2300 grafts. That's a big difference between both places. Thank you for your help

Photos cannot assess the number of grafts you would need for surgery. Usually this involves seeing a doctor in person.

Photos cannot assess the number of grafts you would need for surgery.  Usually this involves seeing a doctor in person.  You may see such variation because each doctor and you may not be communicating clearly in terms of goals and expectations.  There are men with your hair loss who may not be satisfied even with 3000 grafts.  There are men who may be satisfied with only 1200 grafts.

Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Probably somewhere in between

I think 1200 is a little skinny -- 2300 is a bit much! In someone like you, I'd aim at 1800 to 2000, but it really just depends on how big your head is! Also, are they taking about "grafts" or "hairs?" Understand that 1200 grafts may contain 3000 hairs.  If harvesting with FUE, most times we can split the bigger grafts so that 1200 grafts that are harvested may end up being 1600 grafts to place.  I think you should get 1 more in person consult...  Good luck!

Robert S. Houser, DO
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

How many grafts?

It would take about 1500-1800 grafts to cover that area, the higher number if your hair is fine and the lower number if it is coarse,

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Every case is different and so is every clinic

Try to narrow down your clinic options to those that do mainly hair and that should get you a better idea of graft numbers.

Rashid M. Rashid, PhD, MD
Houston Dermatologist

Number of transplanted hairs

We no longer quote Neograft by number of hairs, but by area of coverage for this exact reason. The number of follicular units that need to be moved is based on your individual strand thickness, the density of hair in your donor site, how much thickness you are aiming for, how much you want to bring the hairline at your temples forward, and sometimes even by your rate of hair loss (sometimes transplanters are conservative and want to "save" as many donor site follicles as possible for future procedures if you have more hair loss). 

Having said all that, I personally think the answer might lie between those two numbers, at around 1500-1800 grafts. The most important thing, though is to find an office where you feel comfortable with the physician and the staff. You may also want to ask about how each please handles things if you aren't happy after surgery (some places will give discounts on revision procedures, and some do not). Best wishes.  

Dana Goldberg, MD
Jupiter Plastic Surgeon

How Many Grafts Do You Need?

Each transplant is different and there may be significant variation between doctor as to how many grafts are used, how many hairs are in each graft, where they are placed, etc. It also depends on the density of your donor area. Best option is to find a doctor who you trust, who you think will give you the best result and discuss with them why they think you should get "X" number of grafts but this other doctor says you should get "Y". You really need careful examination and discussion to sort this out. Good luck.

Andrew Kaufman, MD