Is general anesthesia necessary for removing a 4" scar on the scalp? (Photos)

I saw a surgeon and his recommendation was to do a few surgeries and cut part of the scar out in each surgery until it's gone. I have never been under before and I think this sounds like not enough to go through the stress and extreme anxiety I feel about going to sleep. I had a huge patch of exposed tissue for 10 months, an incision doesn't seem bad. Would it be my option to tell the doctor I do not want to go to sleep, just do local anesthesia or a sedative? Or is it up to the doctor?

Scalp Scar

I am not sure you understand the nature of what your Surgeon is going to do; removing a 4 inch scar from the scalp is a large reconstructive undertaking.  Could you be awake for this procedure?   You could, but the extent of the tissue elevation and the nature of the procedure make it a bad idea. I would discuss this again with your Surgeon. 

Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Is general anesthesia necessary for removing a 4" scar on the scalp?

Yes but what was the cause?? The plan of serial excision will take at least 6 surgeries in my over the internet opinion. Why not try hair transplants??

Thank you for you question and for sharing your photographs.  Because of the inelasticity of the scalp tissues I would heed your surgeon's advise and have your procedures done under general anesthesia.  Much more work will be needed than you think to be able to mobilize your scalp tissues to serially remove your skin graft.  I know general anesthesia is concerning, but if you are otherwise a healthy individual the risks are fairly minimal.  Best wishes.