How can I fix this? Do I need rhinoplasty? (Photos)

I got kicked in the nose . I never had any blood come out but for a while my bone hurt . How can I fix this ? And what damage was done ?

Doctor Answers 5


It looks like the injury fractured the bony-cartilaginous junction of your nose.  There does not seem to be a significant deformity in the photo but if there is, then a rhinoplasty to rasp the dorsum down a bit to even it out would be indicated. Best wishes, Dr. T. 

Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 52 reviews

Nasal deformity after trauma

Thank you for the question and photos. it seems that you have had a nasal or septal fracture. Both these conditions can be diagnosed by physical examination and imaging when you consult a specialist, and both can be adequately treated with a rhinoplasty. 

Shady Hayek, MD
Lebanon Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 12 reviews

How can I fix this? Do I need rhinoplasty?

In order to give the best answer- it would need to be determined exactly what "it" is and what you are referring to. This can only be done with in person physical exam and possibly additional diagnostic tools. Once a clear diagnosis is made, then the best options for treatment can be outlined

Thomas Trevisani, Sr., MD
Orlando Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 64 reviews

trauma to the nose

Trauma to the nose can cause a displaced or non-displaced nasal fracture. In addition, the upper lateral cartilages can become dislocated off of the nasal bones. Sometimes significant trauma to the nose can cause a deviated septum. A thorough internal and external  examination of the nose is required by an ENT/facial plastic surgeon to document the extent of the injury. X-rays may also be necessary. For more information and many examples of broken nose repair in our practice, please see the link and the video below

William Portuese, MD
Seattle Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 145 reviews

Nasal evaluation

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you may have a nasal fracture or septal fracture. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 131 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.