Feeling increased tightness on one side 4 days after surgery - should I be worried?

Hello, I'm 28 yo and had a breast aug done 4 days ago with silicone gummy bear round smooth overs (300cc on L and 375cc on R). I had exparel injected during surgery and have only needed ibuprofen post-op. Yesterday I went on a very slow walk for about 1 mile because I was feeling good, afterwards noticed some tightening on my R side (the side that I had the larger implant placed) as well as a little more bruising. Went back to my desk job today and tightness worsened. I have a f/u in 2 days.

Thank you for your question.  With increased activity it is normal to experience some discomfort this early after breast augmentation surgery.  However if the breast has swollen, is painful and feels extremely tight he should see your plastic surgeon  to rule out hematoma.

Breast augmentation

Tightness after augmentation is common especially right after surgery.  If concerned, best to check with you surgeon.

4 days post op, some advices:

Thanks for the question.

In my practice, after performing a BA I recommend to my patients to limit the movement of the arms for two weeks. After that, you can move your arms taking care and always with common sense. 
In this regard, it's not advisable to carry heavy weights to prevent the implant out of position, and allow the formation of the physiological capsule around the implant, also to avoid pain and breast swelling. 

Kind regards

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Increased tightness 4 days after surgery

Thank you for the question.   Most likely you are fine,  however I would encourage you to call your surgeons office and request to be seen sooner,  even if just for piece of mind.          Good Luck

Ivor B. Kaplan, MD
Norfolk Plastic Surgeon

Increased pain in right breast after surgery

Thanks for this most important question.  There is no doubt that each Plastic Surgeon must respond properly to every patient inquiry before as well as after surgery, and your question should be  treated in the same manner as I would answer my own patients.  I do not recommend any exercising after surgery for approximately four weeks, and walking on the beach clearly qualifies as exercise when this is discussed with patients.  This can raise blood pressure, pulse rate and can cause bleeding in the area of the body recently operated on.  It will possibly cause swelling, increased bruising and an increase in pain.  In my practice I also don't recommend the use of Ibuprofen because of the tendency to see an increase in bruising or bleeding.  This avoidance is recommended for at least two weeks before and after surgery.  Without photos I can't say whether you have the start of a hematoma in your right breast, but I would highly recommend that you let your Plastic Surgeon know as soon as possible.  Until then, avoid exercise and use ice compresses if your doctor's office recommends this to you.

Good luck to you.

Frank Rieger M.D.  Tampa Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implants/Breast Augmentation/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

Since there has been a change in your post op course, please contact your surgeon so he/she can examine you and recommend the most appropriate treatment plan at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Thank you for sharing your question and I am sorry that this tightness has caused you to worry.  Though nothing replaces an in-person examination or full series of photographs, some swelling is not uncommon in the first few days after the procedure as your activity level increases.  If you have seen a significant change in appearance or sensation best to see your surgeon for reassurance.

If you are taking the time to post your issues here on RS than why not go see your surgeon instead just to be sure there is no hematoma forming?