How difficult is it to remove the lat flap reconstruction?

2004 I had a mastectomy and a lat flap in 2009. I now have an extrusion of my implant and considering removal of the reconstruction and a prophylactic mast of the opposit side. How difficult is it to remove the latflap reconstruction? What am I looking at for an approx recovery time?

Breast reconstruction revision

I am sorry to hear you are having a difficult time.  I have removed, thinned and revised all types of reconstructions over the last decade.  This can be done.  If there is and implant in place then removal of the implant and its capsule is performed followed by removal of tissue as need to reach symmetry with the other side if that is possible.

Delayed Breast Reconstruction

Thank you very much for your question.

Moving forward in the treatment of your breast cancer, you have elected to have a contralateral mastecotmy and a double reconstruction.  Its important to know whey your implant in extruding and if you had previously had radiation.  The lat flap once performed can not be reversed and will stay on your chest regardless of what happens next.  We can work around it and use it during the new reconstruction surgery.  Generally options are to use your own tissue or implants.  Also using muscles in reconstruction of the breast is outdated and should not be performed. Good luck with your surgery and in situations like yours I would recommend getting a second and sometimes a third opinion before making your final decision. Hope that helps.

Ali Sadeghi, MD, FACS
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon