Am I developing a polly beak deformity? (Photos)

I am now coming up on 3 months post-op and I have noticed that the swelling on my tip is either getting worse or possibly appearing worse since the bridge swelling has gone down. My doctor said it was scar tissue build up and he used a very minimal steroid injection at 2 months post-op and said that should take care of it as the scar tissue is still soft. However, nothing resolved with that steroid shot and I'm wondering what this could be and how to fix it? Also, my bridge seems to dip inwards.

Supratip edema

Edema in the supratip area on the left side can be improved with help of the Steroid injection.It sometimes needs to be repeated several times before making a big difference.

Dr. J

Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Your nose appearance still can be changed up to 6-12 month after surgery. Your defined problem is a minor problem and may dissappear over time. However, if the problem still exists after 1 year and you are still looking for a better nose shape, you may consult with a board certified surgeon to get a revised surgery.

Tanongsak Panyawirunroj, MD
Thailand Plastic Surgeon

Supra tip swelling

Thank you for your pictures - to answer your question as simply as possible; its hard to tell over pictures.  A polybeak, as you know, is secondary to scar formation in the supratip, and that develops from swelling and extensive maneuvers in the tip area, etc. 3 months post op, there is a possibility that this is certainly still swelling, but it all depends on what was done to your nasal tip and your upper lateral cartilages during surgery. Feeling the soft tissue would give an idea of how much of that "swelling" is scar tissue, and how much is at risk of developing into a polybeak. As far as the nasal dorsum is concerned, it is accentuated by the swelling you have at the tip level.  A simple temporary fix for this is a liquid rhinoplasty.  That being said, an exam and consult would yield a better idea.  Anyways, I hope this helps.  Best of luck.  

Miguel Mascaro, MD
Delray Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

You certainly have significant improvement from your preop photos. It does not look like you have a pollybeak. I would give it a full year to heal. Best of luck.

Polly beak

If you press down on it and the problem improves it may well just be residual swelling. If it is very solid like cartilage then it may require further touch up. Either way it is still too early to judge or do anything further . Try to be patient and see how it looks at 6-9 months. This will be a truer picture of the result.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Secondary Rhinoplasty indicated

Secondary revision rhinoplasty is indicated after 6 months from primary surgery in my over the internet opinion. Schedule now.

3 months post op, some advices:

Thank you very much for enquire.

Swelling after a rhinoplasty depends of the surgery complexity.
In this regard, the nasal swelling Post-op It can last from two weeks to two months.
To reduce this swelling, I recommend you perform delicates daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the face (around the nose) avoid sun exposure, and take pain/inflamation pills, as your surgeron precribe you.
Kind regards, 
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-  

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Issues after rhinoplasty

I see what you see.  The bridge dipping down in the middle might collapse of the upper lateral cartilages, or perhaps the nonuse of spreader grafts, or the relative over resection of dorsal cartilage in the mid septum with under resection of the cartilage in the distal (toward the tip) septum.  Names aside (polly beak or others), the fullness just above the tip is an issue if it bothers you.  There could be many causes.  Scar tissue and swelling (supra tip suture used to prevent?), insufficient dorsal septal cartilage resection distally, the nature of the shaping used for the lower lateral cartilages.  If it was closed rhinoplasty, I would think it was insufficient dorsal cartilage resection distally relative to the mid section (where you see the dip). I se that a lot on the revisions I do of closed rhinoplasties - that is why open rhinoplasty is more controlled in man situations.   Was it closed?  

Adam Bryce Weinfeld, MD