Breast Reduction question about location of anchor incisions. Any suggestions?

I'm confused where the incisions are located for an anchor type reduction. There's the aerola incision. But for the vertical & horizontal cuts, I'm not sure. I have seen pics of vertical cuts that go from the aerola all the way down to the breast crease on chest wall, then out horizontally under the breast right along the crease. But I've seen some BR scars that have the bottom scar just above the crease. Can anyone clarify if there are differences between where that bottom cut is made? Thx!!

Incision Type for Breast Reduction

I prefer to use a #minimal incision surgery with a “#vertical” or “#lollipopBreastReduction scar technique. This method has been used in Europe and South America for more than 30 years but is performed by a small number of Plastic Surgeons in this country.The trend toward using this much better procedure is growing as younger plastic surgeons learn this technique in their residency programs.The benefits include: approximately fifty percent less scarring, a narrower breast, better forward projection and shape, longer lasting improvement, shorter surgery time and less complications. In general, we have stopped using the older traditional “anchor” or inverted “T” incisions as these provide inferior results.

Anchor incision for breast reduction

Thank you for your question.  The anchor incision goes around the perimeter of the areola, extends down to the breast crease and continues horizontally along the breast crease.  In contrast, a “lollipop” shaped incision is made around the perimeter of the areola and extends down to the breast crease only.  Hope that helps!

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

#Breast Reduction question about location of anchor incisions. Any suggestions?

Excellent question and you are right--there is a lot of information out there on the internet and not all of it may be accurate.  You are correct that with an anchor incision, there is a circular incision along the rim of the areola. At the 6 o'clock position of the areola, the vertical incision then starts and courses straight downward to the fold or crease beneath the breast (inframammary fold or IMF).  The vertical incision then forms an inverted "T" with the horizontal incision which should lie directly in the IMF.  The horizontal IMF incision is sometimes shorter or longer depending on the amount of breast tissue that needs to be removed for reduction and/or lifting.  When you are ready, scheduling a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon will help explain the details of the surgery and they can draw where the incisions typically are either on you or a photo so you can visualize it.  Good luck!

Megan Jack, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Anchor scar

Dear Kathy,

The "anchor" scar that results from a Wise pattern incision is so-called because it includes the circumareolar scar you describe, plus a vertical scar from 6 o'clock on the areola straight down to the lower crease, plus a scar that traverses the lower crease. When you add all three together, it looks like an anchor. Think: O--) turned 90 degrees clockwise. I hope this helps!

Warmly,

Jonathan Zelken, MD
Newport Beach Physician

Thanks for your question. I have attached a link to help you understand this procedure better. I always recommend in person consultation to determine what you're a candidate for. Hope this helps