Do I need a breast augmentation and tummy tuck revision? What's the cost? (Photo)

I am 6 month post-op from a full tummy tuck, breast augmentation and dissatisfied with results. I raised my concerns about uneven breast fullness, scaring of tummy tuck /belly button. My surgeons comments were that my breast look to 90% even and brushed of my other concerns. How should I approach my surgeon in regards revising my breast, belly bottom scar and dog ear (uneven transition)? Since I don't want my plastic surgeon to brush me off again what's the best method?

Revision

Thank you for your question and photos.  When you speak with your surgeon regarding your dissatisfaction, be sure to make yourself clear and voice your concerns with your results.  If you are still not satisfied, consider seeking a second opinion.

Dr. Results
Miami, FL

Surgeon won't do revision at 6 months

Thank you for your question about your mommy make-over.

• Your photos show that your scars have not finished maturing -
  • First of all, wait another 6 months.
  • Your results look good - although there are no before photos to compare.
  • Unless it is spelled out in the surgeon's policy, a surgeon is not required to re-operate and the decision rests with the surgeon.
  • Nor is a surgeon required to reoperate for free - although many of us do minor revisions at no cost.
  • You cannot make the surgeon do what you want if the surgeon does not agree with you.
  • Your breast result looks very nice - it is likely you were asymmetric before surgery so check your pre-operative photos.
  • The belly button appears a little large - but photos can be misleading.
  • The scars are dark - this draws attention to them.
  • I don't see a dog ear scar - I do see asymmetry. This may not be possible to correct.
  • The best approach with your surgeon is one of appreciation of the improvement and a discussion of what to expect in the next six months, what s/he suggests for the skin darkening and what s/he might do if anything to improve the result to your satisfaction - knowing that it truly may be best to accept the result.

Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

About a Mommy Makeover & the Costs

It's difficult to suggest without a in-person one-on-one consultation. The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction.  

Your procedures should be performed by a #PlasticSurgeon who is board-certified and has a great deal of experience specializing in cosmetic #surgery. You will then greatly improve your chances of getting the result you desire, and, without the need for a revision surgery. It is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.

The costs of a #Mommy Makeover will depend on several factors. Such include the geographic location, the skill and experience of the surgeon, and operating room and anesthesia fees. Approximate #costs can be found here on the Real Self website, Surgery.org, or PlasticSurgery.org. Also, the costs are contingent on the specific #procedures being combined in the operation. Such will be discussed in greater length during your one-on-one consultation. Also, such #combined operations are often performed with our Gynecology colleagues. Tubal ligation is a common post pregnancy procedure which is done at the time of many of the surgeries included with Mommy Makeovers. Therefore, if you require a gynecologic operation or study (laparoscopy) and are considering a plastic surgery procedure, discuss these issues with your doctor. Combining these procedures decreases anesthetics, costs, and recovery time. 

Dissatisfied

Thanks for your questions and photos. Without seeing your before photos, it is hard to have anything to compare to. However, you are still in the early stages of healing. Regarding your breasts it is best to remember that breasts are like sisters, not twins and will never be 100% symmetrical. Continue to discuss your questions with your surgeon directly as they will appreciate the open communication. Best to you. –Dr. Coan.

Brian Coan, MD, FACS
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Six months is too early to consider mommy makeover revision.

I think it's too early to consider a revision based on the photograph presented. There still a sizable amount of swelling. However, I don't think the umbilicus is going to look much better so a revision may be necessary here. This can be done under local anesthesia.

Is revision surgery appropriate

I always tell my cosmetic patients, even when I have not yet operated on them, that 'need' is a very strong word. When you ask if you 'need' a breast revision, I would say that your breasts, though not 100% symmetrical, have a nice shape to them. Regarding a revision, more information from you on what you do not like about your breasts is necessary before a discussion about revision surgery is appropriate.
Regarding your belly button scar and the concerns about the uneven transition on your tummy tuck scar, I would encourage you to allow some additional time to pass as your scar is still very immature and fading of the scar is possible. I have seen scars go from pink to nearly faded even up to more than a year after surgery. Darker scars may need a topical skin cream to assist in the lightening process. Sun protection is of utmost importance. If you proceed with any type of revision, allowing some additional time to pass so that your tissues soften up will make any revisional surgery easier to complete. 

Antonio Gayoso, MD
Saint Petersburg Plastic Surgeon

Do I need a breasts revision?..........

Before I can give a valid opinion I would have to see what your situation was preoperatively. In general terms your result is reasonable.it may well be that things can be improved. You would have to discuss costs with your own surgeon.

Patrick Briggs, FRCSI(Plast Surg)
Perth Plastic Surgeon

Do not like your results

Hi.... Thank you for the photos and question.... All depends of what were you specting... But a revision is needed for your belly button.... The rest are based on your desire

Luis A. Mejia, MD

Breast Augmentation

The abdominal scar from the tummy tuck is too high and the skin is tight. Maybe it can not be lowered. Needs an examination.
the breast is asymmetrical and requires revision that cost is nearly the same as the original cost for the breast augmentation. Although the revision sometimes is more work than the original surgery

Should I get revision surgery for uneven breasts after breast augmentation and an unsightly belly button scar after tummy tuck?

Hello Serendipity81,
Thanks for your question.
One limitation of breast augmentation is that it cannot completely even out the normally asymmetric starting breasts that every woman has.  Mild differences can be made smaller and larger differences less so.  Breast lifting surgery is often necessary to create more even breasts, but they leave patients will extensive scarring at times.
You should point out to your surgeon what it is you want as an end goal and stand your ground.
A request for revision of a belly button scar is really minor in my opinion.  It is easy to perform in the office under local anesthesia.
A larger breast implant can be placed into your smaller breast to more closely even out the look.  It won't be perfect but it will be better.
Speak with your surgeon and speak with their staff about what disappoints you about your results.  You would be surprised how eager they end up being to help you.
If that doesn't work you could get a second opinion from a reputable board-certified plastic surgeon in your community.
Good luck,
Dr. Shah

Manish H. Shah, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon