Body Contouring vs Tummy Tuck? (photos)

I am 36 years old with 2 kids. I have had several consultations where each physician recommends a tummy tuck. I have 3 major problems......1. The Scar! 2. Recovery Time and 3. I am a smoker. As a result of my concerns, I am looking into Body Contouring with Venus Freeze or Body Jet. Will I end up with a raisin like tummy?

Body contouring v.s tummy tuck

Unfortunately I don't believe that body contouring with the machines you mentioned would give you the results you desire. I suggest another face-to-face evaluation with a board certified plastic surgeon to be sure, but I recommend a tummy tuck w/ muscle repair for a flat tummy.

Thank you for your question and for sharing your picture!

Melinda Lacerna, MD FACS

Tummy tuck

dear coupon lady, as you say, you have had several consultations and they all recommend  tummmy tuck.  if you do happen to find a single person who recommends something else: would you really trust the odd one out.  quit smoking and get the tummy tuck.  the scar will look better than what yoiu look like now

Jonathan Saunders, MD
Newark Plastic Surgeon

Tummy vs lipo

Looking at your photos if you have what you state in your question is lipo or coolsculpt I think you will be less than happy.When you have what looks like a fair amount of loose skin then it needs to be removed.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck/abdominoplasty versus liposuction

Hi…

As the old adage goes, "there is no such thing as a free lunch!" Unfortunately, in your case… A simple liposuction or laser/Non-invasive type of procedure just won't achieve enough to give you a satisfactory result. You have several of the features that are best treated by tummy tuck/abdominoplasty:
  • Loose, hanging abdominal skin
  • Abdominal skin stretch marks
  • Separated abdominal muscles/Rectus diastasis
  • Muscular abdominal wall laxity/pooching
While the recovery, scar and absolute necessity to stop smoking are a challenge when it comes to abdominoplasty/Tummy Tuck, I feel that this is the operation that can best offer you a great result. Anything else will just fall short

I wish you the best.

Dr. Gabbay

Joubin Gabbay, MD

Tummy work

from the photos you show, you would do best with a full TT. even though you are a smoker, the dissection can be limited, but you are still at risk for poor wound healing. the non surgical choices will be limited and you will need more of them. and you may still not achieve the result you want. my first choice for you would be a full TT, followed in 3-6 months with lip to your mid section to improve shape and contour. 

Tummy tuck with lipo candidate. Some advices:

Thanks for sharing your concerns with us.

With the Tummy Tuck, I would like to perform waist and lateral liposuction to give you a better body contour. Also, I recommend you to perform a Brazilian Butt Lift (BBL) using the fat that we get with the lipo, and transferring it to the buttocks and hips, to mold and get better volume, contour and Butt projection.
In this regard, for safety reasons, to be a good candidate for TT+ waist/lateral Lipo and brazilian butt lift , your labs and cardiovascular preoperative evaluation should be in optimal ranges, that allows us to make a safe procedure.
You have to stop smoking at least a month before surgery and two months after surgery. 

Respectfully, 
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Tummy tuck

A tummy tuck is your best option but you need to stop smoking for 4 weeks before and 4 weeks after.  If you can't do this, then liposuction is the next safest option.  However liposuction will not address excess skin so it has to be done judicously. 

Tummy tuck vs Non invasive procedures

Based on your photo, you will get the best results with a tummy tuck, not any of the non invasive procedures.  My best advice is to quit smoking for at least 4-6 weeks prior to surgery (nicotine FREE: no patch, no gum, no e-cigarettes) and plan to stay off cigarettes for at least 4-6 weeks after surgery.  This will greatly improve your chances of healing well;  that's your contribution to your investment!  Make it as complication free as possible, it's in your best interest.

Hopefully after all that time you will not need to go back on the cigarettes!

Seek a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss this further as well as your options.  A few months without cigarettes will be well worth it...

Roxanne Sylora, MD

Noninvasive procedures v TT

You are not a candidate for the noninvasive procedures so please save your money. The only procedure which would be of value is the abdominoplasty. You are correct that smoking is an issue, particularly for the outcome of the scar but need to decide if the procedure is important enough to you to make the decision to stop smoking.  

Body Contouring vs Tummy Tuck? (photos)

You are NOT a caudate for Venus Freeze or Body Jet Lipo! Only a full TT would achieve your goals. Also yes your risks factors increase with smoking and previous scars...