Blue stitch wire began hanging out of ear months after earlobe repair. Moved and not local to original surgeon. (photo)

Normal? Help? I had earlobe repair in March 2016. It healed well and I got it repierced in early July. Suddenly a blue wire it felt like a thorn was hanging out of my ear lobe on the bottom. It is a stitch. I am unsure of what to do. I don't want to tug too hard on it if its holding something in. Should I clip it close to the skin, pull it out with sterilized tweezers, go to a hospital? I moved 900 miles away from the original surgeon. He removed the sutures and sent me on my way...

Ear lobe repair - now a blue stitch showing up!

Thank you for asking about your ear lobe repair.
  • I am sorry this has happened - the blue wire is probably a suture material called prolene.
  • You can definitely gently pull on the suture end - it is likely to slip out.
  • If not, you can go to a local plastic surgeon, your regular doctor, an Urgent Care center (cheaper than a hospital) or to an Emergency room - check your insurance. You may pay lots for ER visits.
  • Suture fragments can remain when sutures are removed -  small fragment hides under the skin and then shows up much later.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Go see a doctor

any doctor can remove that for you.  look for a local plastic surgeon.  good luck. This should not be hard to remove.

Andrew T. Cohen, MD

Suture issue

It sounds like one suture may not have been removed. If you can't gently remove it, then see a doctor.

Ear Lobe Suture

Thanks for your question!  It sounds like you have a retained suture still in your ear lobe.  This far out from the repair, there is no harm in removing the stitch.  You can attempt to pull it yourself with tweezers.  If it is difficult for you, I would try your primary care physician or an urgent care.  Best of luck to you!

Blue stitch

Honestly Liliana, it looks like a proline stitch that may have been left behind due to swelling and the inability of the person removing stitches to see it (sometimes it happens.  It's no big deal from a healing standpoint).  Your body is doing what it is supposed to do and "push it out".  Give a call to any local PS or facial plastic surgeon.  They are more likely to feel comfortable taking it out than an urgent care center or ER.  It should not be a big deal.  Best of luck.

Miguel Mascaro, MD
Delray Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon