Can I get an arm lift/breast augmentation and thigh lift with lipo in the same surgery? What's the recouperation time? (Photo)

I underwent gastric bypass surgery in 11/2010. I had an extended tummy tuck in 7/2012 and I would like to have a breast augmentation, an arm lift, and a thigh lift with lipo done. Can I get all three procedures done during the same surgery? What would be the total operating time if I decide to have everything done during the same surgery? What is the recuperation time and how much time would I need to be out of work? How much would these procedures cost (ball park)? Thank you!

Massive weight loss - thigh lift, arm lift and breast augmentation all at once time?

Thank you for your question about your body lifting.
  • Usually a thigh lift takes long enough, that other procedures are not done.
  • There are exceptions of course.
  • Recovery from a thigh lift varies - and depends on the kind of work you do and the length of your commute.
  • For your questions to be answered, you truly need a full consultation.
  • Since you have not had a lower back lift, ask the surgeon to check your torso carefully -
  • If the back is sagging, this may also need lifting to get your best thigh lift result.
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes. Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Planning for mulitple body contouring procedures

Rather than combining all three of these procedures, I think it might be best for you to stage them. Specifically, I would typically separate the arm lift and the thigh lift in an effort to ease the recovery phase. In addition, combining all three procedures would require a long anaesthetic, perhaps 5 - 7 hours, and this would increase your risk of complications. The breast augmentation could be combined with either the arm lift or thigh lift.The cost of these procedures will depend on the amount of operating time required and the complexity of the procedure. There is significant variability among weight loss patients and often it's difficult to estimate the total fees without seeing a patient in consultation.

Owen Reid, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Considering Body Contouring after Weight Loss in Melbourne, Florida

I have found that my Melbourne, Florida, body contouring patients appreciate a detailed discussion regarding considerations in this area. Decisions regarding combinations of procedures and in what order to proceed with procedures complete depend on patient’s goals, options, preferences, and pre- and postop considerations. Beyond that, of course, you must healthy enough to proceed with the surgery, but ultimately, it will be a function of patient and surgeon preferences. While it is certainly possible to do all of these procedures in the same day, I would definitely discuss it with your board-certified plastic surgeon. I hope this information is helpful to you. Best of luck!

Amy Ortega, MD
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Body contouring - multiple procedures at once?

Hi - this is a common question. It certainly is possible to have all 3 procedures done at once but you would have a fairly extended recovery. It would be my advice to have arms and BBA done together then the thigh lift separately. 

Not recommended

Concurrent surgery of this type on the upper and lower extremities would not be recommended in my opinion.  I would recommend doing the breast and arm surgery (brachioplasty) under one anesthetic and the thigh lift under another.  Also, liposuction and a thigh lift may not be recommended to have together depending on the extent and location of the liposuction secondary to higher complication rates with wound healing and blood clots.  I would recommend at least three months between procedures. 

Can I get an arm lift/breast augmentation and thigh lift with lipo in the same surgery?

Thank you for your question.  Congratulations on your weight loss!  Safety is an important consideration when doing multiple procedures at the same.  In general, it's good to keep operative time under 6 hrs to reduce the risk for complications like blood clots or anesthesia related complications.  Also, please consider the potential difficulty in recovery when having surgery on all 4 extremities as it may dramatically impact your mobility.  Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck!

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

If in good health, no anemia i would offer ONLY in hospital operating room surgery fr ALL those surgeries. With postop 4 day hospital stay. Fee $35,000 range. Full healing 6 weeks.

Can I get an arm lift/breast augmentation and thigh lift with lipo in the same surgery? What's the recouperation time?

Congratulations on your weight loss and your commitment to a healthier lifestyle. Post-bariatric reconstruction is a very rewarding path for you at this point. In order to determine suitability for each of the procedures you seek - an in person physical exam is essential. Without seeing your breast it's impossible to comment. As far as your arms lift and thighs- they can be done. In order to perform these procedures at the same time- you will need a very experienced Surgeon with his/her experienced team, as well as having the procedure performed in the outpatient section of the Hospital

Multiple procedures after weight loss surgery

Congratulations on taking the correct action when you find yourself unable to lose the weight in a non surgical technique.  This raises several questions that need to be considered and answered..  I would always ask your personal physician about this before you make a final decision.  As you probably know, the longer the length of the operation, particularly with contour body surgery, the greater is the risk.    A serious discussion about each risk, particularly that of having a DVT( blood clot in the legs) which easily could become a pulmonary embolus affecting your lungs, as well as your life, need to be considered .  Don't only think about your recovery length of time, but most importantly your health.  As always don't discount the use of Lovenox as a blood thinner to be used concurrently with the surgery.

I don't want to give you other advice without examine you and also knowing more about your overall health.  I will leave this discussion with a very qualified Plastic Surgeon that you may choose as you move forward with your ideas.

Good luck .

Frank Rieger M.D.  Tampa Plastic Surgeon

Combination Surgery

When considering surgery, Patient Safety is Primary.
Consider your general health, clearance from your medical doctor. Time of surgery, and place of surgery. Hospital or an accredited facility., Like a facility accredited by AAAASF.
Surgery is trauma and trauma to different parts of the body can have additive risks. Also consider each of these procedures need care and fineness and attention to fine details, and you do not want your surgeon cutting corners and running through the surgery. I want my surgeon to spend as much time on one procedure to get the best results.