What's the best alternative to a mini face lift? (Photo)

I've asked 3 doctors, 2 said I didn't need a lift yet. However, 1 did say I would benefit from one. What can I do that last 2 or more years? Thank you for your advice, in advance.

Mini face lift expectations

Thanks for your post. Yes, I would agree with your other opinions that I don't think you really need a mini facelift. You have amazing skin, good facial contours, no jowls, and even your neck line looks healthy. I would focus on continued professional skin care, and consider injectables such as Botox and fillers to maintain your youthful appearance. Best wishes.

Leawood Plastic Surgeon

What's the best alternative to a mini face lift?

Hi, I have performed facelifts for over 30 years and have performed many minimally, invasive type facelifts. From the photos your cheeks are flat anteriorly (in the front), jowls are present and the chin is weak.  These factors combine to create a rectangular shaped face.  Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, women look the most feminine, youthful and attractive with heart shaped faces.  Heart shaped faces have cheeks that are full and round in the front.  Cheek augmentation with a dermal filler or using cheek implants for a permanent enhancement will create full, round cheeks that will feminize the entire face.Hi,  A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face.   I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick and highly effective.  If you have "jowls” these are sagging facial tissues and an indication for some form of a SMAS facelift.  The underlying SMAS layer, of the face, must be dissected, lifted, trimmed and re-sutured (not merely folded or suspended with threads or sutures that will not last).  The excess skin is then removed and the facelift incisions closed.

My most popular facelift is the minimally invasive, short incision facelift that has all the benefits of more invasive facelifts (traditional, mid-face, deep plane, cheek lift and subperiosteal facelifts) but with these added benefits:

• very small incisions
  • minimal tissue dissection = less bruising and swelling = rapid recovery ( several days instead of weeks or months with the more invasive type facelifts mentioned)
  • can be performed in 90 minutes or less, with or without general anesthesia
  • no incisions within the hair = no hair loss
  • excess fat can be removed
  • excess skin removed
  • cheeks, chin and jaw line can be augmented with dermal fillers (I prefer Restylane Lyft) or facial implants
  • most patients fly back home to parts all over the world in as little as 3 days post-op
I combine facial shaping with every facelift procedure.  When jowls are present, these should be done in concert and not alone or separately in order to create a naturally, more attractive face. Hope this helps.

Alternate to a minilift

The best alternative to a "mini lift" is a real facelift with appropriate tightening of the skin and deeper structures of the cheeks,  jowls and neck. Perhaps have it done earlier in your aging process and have the effects for many years. Be sure you do not abnormally scar before proceeding.  

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD FACS
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Are you a scar (keloid former)? If nor yes a surgical mini FL?NL would help. Other options would be the minimally invasive Nova Lift with PDO threads or the Silhouette InstaLift or both in combination. These last 1 to 2 years but very minor surgery.

Mini facelift versus

There are alternatives, but are not necessarily equivalent or prescribed.  Fillers, ThermiTight or some non invasive treatments might be used.  You should consult with  a reputable Plastic surgeon that can use a variety of treatment options.  You already have several opinions, but you need to consider what might be best for you.  Remember that all procedures have risks and limitations.

Richard O. Gregory, MD