Is an alar base reduction enough? (Photo)

I am looking to get a alar base reduction. Will that be adequate for my nose. I like the shape just not my wide nostrils. I would still like to keep it ethnically appropriate

Open rhinoplasty candidate, some advices:

Thank you very much for the questions.

The harmony between facial parts makes us instinctively recognize the beauty... without knowing it, without defining it, just a perception that surprises and captivates us.

In this regard, After having analyzed all the info. and photos provided to us, i recommend you perform an Open Full Rhinoplasty, includding narrowing of the nasal base and nostrils, with nasal bones treatment (controled fracture) and alar + triangular nasal cartilages re-shaping.
With this procedure you get a delicate nose, better harmonize with your other facial features.

Kind regards

Is NasalAlar Base Reduction Enough?

Alar base reduction can be done as an isolated procedure but consider all your options such as proportionately defining your wide tip before making any decisions.  It is not unreasonable to just reduce the nasal base if that will satisfy your expectations.

Is an alar base reduction enough?

How the Rhinoplasty operation is performed?

There are different kinds of rhinoplasty operations however we can divide them as the one that requires bone excision and the one that does not need bone excision. The main fact that we classify the rhinoplasty operations like that is that the results and postoperative period is associated closely with this fact. In the operations like “nasal tip correction”, “simple rhinoplasty” there is no need for a bone excision however these minor operations cannot be beneficial for everyone. The operation type is need to be determined by the surgeon according to needs of the patient. In these minor operations the rhinoplasty is performed with closed method. The bone and the cartilage tissues are not involved in the surgery directly. Small nasal bumps can be removed in these operations.

In the operation that needs the bone and cartilage tissues to be involved; open approach is used. In the procedures with open approach, the size, shape and functionality of the nose can be improved. The big nasal bumps can be removed and septal deviations can be corrected providing a better nasal airway.

Bulent Cihantimur, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

ALAR BASE REDUCTION AS ISOLATED PROCEDURE

ALAR BASE REDUCTION CAN BE PERFORMED AS A STANDALONE PROCEDURE.  IN REVIEWING YOUR PHOTO I STRONGLY SUGGEST THAT YOU "TRY ON" YOUR NEW NOSE WITH A 3D IMAGING SESSION (WE USE CANFIELD VECTRA 3D) BEFORE YOU PROCEED.  THIS WILL HELP YOU DECIDE WHETHER YOU WOULD BE HAPPY WITH CHANGES TO THE ALAR BASE THAT MAY THEN MAKE THE TIP OF YOUR NOSE APPEAR PROPORTIONATELY WIDER.  

J. David Holcomb, MD
Sarasota Facial Plastic Surgeon

Alar base reduction

It would be best to accompany the alar base reduction with a reduction of your tip cartilages as well.  Only doing the alar base reduction may affect the overall balance of your nose and make the tip look a bit too wide.  Best wishes, Dr. T. 

Alar base reduction

I think that an evaluation in person would be necessary to assess what might be best. Yes, an alar base reduction can be performed as an isolated procedure for some individuals.

Alar Base Reduction

Hi,

Its difficult to assess without seeing your entire nose but I think that you are a good candidate for a horizontal alar base reduction.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

Alar base vs. tip plasty

Thank you for your picture! To be honest with you, while you may benefit from alar base reduction, in order to maintain harmony with the entire tip you may also need to do some refinement of your nasal tip cartilages.  In this way you will maintain your ethnic appearance, however, you will have a more refined nose that better fits your face.  The best way to determine what would be best, honestly, is via consultation. However, keep in mind that tweaking one area of the nose will inevitably alter the perception of other parts of the nose.  I hope some of this helps.  Best of luck! 

Miguel Mascaro, MD
Delray Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you may benefit from a tip refining rhinoplasty. Your surgeon can accomplish this by trimming, suturing, and reshaping the cartilage in your lower nose. Cartilage grafts may also be used to help improve tip refinement. You may also benefit from an alar base reduction.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Alar base reduction

I think that alar base reduction is what you are looking for based on your question.  This can be done in an office without you having to go to sleep.  The nice thing about this option is that if afterwards you feel like you want something else done you haven't burned any bridges in terms of moving on to a more involved rhinoplasty.

Adam Bryce Weinfeld, MD