After having surgery for a skin condition, will I be a candidate for breast implants?

I have Hidradenitis Suppurtivia. In 2009 I had both armpits excised and my right armpit resulted in a skin graft and removal of some breast tissue. It is now 6 years later and I haven't gotten not one flare in any of the arm pit areas. My condition has been under control for quite sometime now. Would I be able to go through with the surgery even with scaring and graft on my right arm pit?

Hello honey, thanks for your question. If your situation is under control, you should get a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon

Hidradenitis Suppurativa and breast augmentation

After six years without a flare and adequate and complete treatment, I think it's reasonable to consider breast augmentation. It is critical to seek the advice of the surgeon who is certified by the American Board take surgery and has extensive experience in breast augmentation. Yours is not a straightforward case–I recommend you find someone who knows what they're doing!

I wish you the best.

Dr. Gabbay.

Joubin Gabbay, MD

Hidradenitis Suppurtivia

If it's been under control as you describe, then it's likely you can begin the process of consulting with board certified surgeons to discuss your options. I would not recommend a transaxillary approach, and since you mention some breast tissue was removed during prior surgery, this may not be as straightforward as a primary augmentation. Depending how much tissue and where, this could greatly affect your result. Only a board certified plastic surgeon with an in-person consult, and exam, can paint a picture of realistic expectations. It may be worthwhile to start suppressive antibiotics a week or two before for peace of mind but their is no data to support that "feel good" measure, and a visit to an infectious disease specialist may be considered.

6 years post op

I would think since you are now 6 years post op you should be fine.I would probabl consult with an infectious disease doctor and go on some antibiotics pre op.y

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Candidate for breast implants?

Thank you for the question. The hidradenitis suppurtivia from your narrative sounds to have been cleared. Therefore it is not unreasonable for you to undergo a breast augmentation, although it probably should not b transaxillary. I suggest that when you are ready, consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for an in-person examination and a discussion of your goals. I hope this helps. Best wishes.

BBA after surgery for hidradenitis

Hello, your prior hidradenitis suppurativa surgery is not necessarily a contraindication for breast augmentation surgery.  I would suggest seeking a consultation with an experienced plastic surgeon to discuss your options.

Congratulations on your successful treatment of the hidradenitis suppurtiva. From the "infection" standpoint, it sounds like you are doing very well and should be able to proceed with breast augmentation surgery. Careful clinical evaluation will be necessary to confirm that you are ready.

Careful physical examination will also be necessary to evaluate the quality of the skin around your  right breasts;  hopefully the skin grafted area will not impede appropriate expansion of the area.

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.
2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.
3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.

I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

Hidradenitis suppurative… Is it a contraindication for Breast augmentation?

Congratulations on your procedure and thanks for sharing your question. I can appreciate your concern.

Hidradenitis suppurativa is an inflammation of sweat glands usually in the arm pitts and groin area. It is characterized by inflammation and overinfection with skin bacteria. The breast is a sweat gland.

In your case if there are no histories of former infections in your breast, or current infection in your skin, the risk of infection in your breast is unlikely. However, careful planning by your surgeon is needed to prevent potential complications.

Finally, make sure that you have a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon that specializes in after weight loss surgery.

Wishing you the best in your journey