Am I a good rhinoplasty candidate? (Photos)

I broke my nose at 3yrs old on the upper left side very close to the eye, but I'm not sure if that has anything to do with why my nose looks how it does. My main issues are that my bridge is nonexistent(can't wear glasses, even with nose pads without sliding), and that my nostrils look uneven. I feel that there is a bump on my right nostril, and the left one is sort of pinched. I feel that it is too small and I don't like the shape. Could rhinoplasty give me a more symmetrical and more prominent nose?

Candidate

You seem to be a good candidate for rhinoplasty. Of course, the next step would be an office visit with a rhinoplasty specialist. A skillful rhinoplasty specialist will carefully listen to your concerns, examine you, perform computer imaging, and then with this information, they will be able to give you a more educated opinion as to whether you are a good candidate for rhinoplasty, what would be involved, etc... Good luck!

Voorhees Facial Plastic Surgeon

You Will Need Additional Cartilage

I doubt that breaking you nose caused the issues that you are concerned about. The nasal bridge could be enhanced with cartilage grafts; your septum (if there is enough) or your rib would be the best choices. To make your nose more prominent will require a fair amount of cartilage, and imaging would help you judge exactly how much more prominent you would like your nose to be. That would then need to be balanced by the amount of cartilage it would take to achieve that goal (and thus, whether septal cartilage would be enough to achieve your goal). I think the bump on your right nostril could easily be addressed. Your nostril asymmetry is mild, and it would require an in-person exam to evaluate how best to approach it.

Rhinoplasty

Based on your photos, I think you'd be an excellent candidate for rhinoplasty. Ask your board certified plastic surgeon for before-and-after photos, and imaging to ensure you are both on the same page. Many people who have broken their nose in the past report high satisfaction after rhinoplasty. Best of luck.

Am I a rhinoplasty Candidate?

Dear Sea_witch, The concerns that you have regarding your nasal aesthetics can be addressed with rhinoplasty surgery. These would include refining the tip, decreasing the rotation on the tip and narrowing the bridge. I would suggest seeking consultation with some experts in the field having imaging performed to show you the possibilities of rhinoplasty and then review the surgeons before and after photographs and then make an informed decision. I have included a link below and video above of a male rhinoplasty with similar characteristics to show you some examples. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Rhinoplasty candidate

A rhinoplasty procedure can address making the required changes to the nose which can include shaving down the dorsal hump, decreasing the rotation of the tip, and narrowing the bridge line. The Nostrils can be also adjusted as well.

Closed rhinoplasty candidate, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.

The harmony between facial parts makes us instinctively recognize the beauty... without knowing it, without defining it, just a perception that surprises and captivates us.

In this regard, I suggest perform a Closed Rhinoplasty (without visible scars) to treat the tip, base and nasal bridge.
With this procedure you get a delicate nose, better harmonize with your other facial features.

Respectfully,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Am I a good rhinoplasty candidate?

The nasal areas that you described and would like improved can be addressed with a nasal surgery (rhinoplasty).

Keep in mind that following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you exactly what to do and how to do it based on limited two dimensional photos without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) or facial plastic surgeon (ENT) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Am I a Good Candidate for a Rhinoplasty?

A rhinoplasty can be done to address all your concerns. In addition consider narrowing and refining of your tip and lengthening your short nose. Consult with a rhinoplasty specialist who devotes most of their practice to this surgery.

Rhinoplasty

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you may benefit from elongating the overall length of your nose and de-rotating your nasal tip.  This can be accomplished with cartilage grafts. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. With good surgical technique, you could have an outstanding result. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Yes.

Thank you for your question and detailed analysis. Any patient is theoretically a candidate for a rhinoplasty if they have functional and/or aesthetic concerns. A qualified board certified plastic or facial plastic surgeon can review your concert with you in person and recommend a treatment plan. It is very important for you to be confident that your surgeon understand your concerns, and that you are equally confident that they can accomplish the stated goals. Make certain that your sense of aesthetics aligns with those of your surgeon as you review their "Before and After" gallery. While rhinoplasty is one of the most commonly performed elective cosmetic procedures, it is unfortunately also associated with a high percentage of unhappy patients seeking a secondary revision surgery. It happens to be one of the more challenging operations in plastic surgery, despite it's prevalence, and it is critical that you research your options and surgeon carefully before scheduling your surgery. Best of luck to you. 

Ram Kalus, MD
Mount Pleasant Plastic Surgeon