Am I a good candidate for an "arm lift" operation? (Photo)

So i'm turning 22 soon, i'm 5"7 and weigh 185lbs, and i've been struggling with my batwings as long as i can remember. I have always covered them up with long sleeves and never allowed myself to wear t-shirts and tanktops even considering my huge weightloss in 2013. My question is this: i'm perfectly proportioned, except these batwings. Is it possible to have an arm lift operation that does not lead to huge scars on my arms? I'm young and i dont wanna be hiding anymore. Please help me.

Arm lift

An arm lift will give you a very nice contour and remove the extra skin or as you call it the bat wings. There are scars but they're hidden  and can heal very nicely.  I always use the embrace scar therapy system to achieve the best scars possible on all of my arm lifts. 

Judging by your photographs recontouring of your upper arms would require a brachioplasty (arm lift). Recent advances in the performance of arm lifts have led to improvement of the scars. Some of these advances include careful orientation of the incision and the use of postoperative methods of scar reduction. In order to have the best result it will be important for you to consult a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery who performs brachioplasty on a regular basis. Good luck

John J. Edney, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Arm lift

Thank you for your question and photos.  First, congrats on the weight loss!  You appear to be an excellent candidate for an arm lift.  Be sure that you are seen in person by a board-certified plastic surgeon who is an expert in the arm lift procedure with minimal scarring to ensure optimal results.

Dr. Results
Miami, FL

Am I a good candidate for an "arm lift" operation?

Congratulations on your weight loss! As time goes on you will maintain the extra skin and to some degree the fat of your arms. Therefore, in my opinion, you are a good candidate for a brachioplasty (arm lift). Seek an experienced Board Certified PS for in person exam

Armlift - brachioplasty - Batwings

Congratulations to your weight loss! I think you are a very good candidate for an armlift. If combined with liposuction,you may only need a scar within the armpit or a mini -L-shaped scar. With this technique there is a lesser risk of injuring a very specific sensory nerve running along your upper arm, and the scar is not obvious. Patients are usually very happy being able to finally wear sleeveless tops again.

Best wishes

Bianca Knoll, MD
Frankfurt Plastic Surgeon

Excellent Canidate for Armlift!

You appear to be an excellent candidate for a Arm lift liposuction or brachioplasty. This involves liposuction to your upper arms, followed by excision of the excess skin. This procedure has a very high level of patient satisfaction

Steven H. Wiener, MD

Well done on your weight loss and achieving better health!  Big accomplishment! :) You are young which means your skin is most likely still in great shape so you may not need an arm lift (or brachioplasty), rather may be able to get away with liposuction to thin the arms more.  After removing the fat, the skin retracts or tightens on its on in most people.  Sometimes a laser or ultrasound is added (laser or VASER liposuction) to promote additional skin tightening.  If there is too much skin laxity then removal of the excess skin with an arm lift may be needed. The most important thing is to schedule an in-person consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon.  You definitely need an in-person assessment of your skin quality for best recommendations. Good luck!

Megan Jack, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Arm lift

Thank you for your question and your pictures.  It seems from these pictures that you would be a good candidate for an arm lift.  But at your young age, you need to consider it carefully since it does leave a long and permanent scar that doesn't always heal well.  Be sure to see a Board Certified PS for your consultation.

Ramiro Morales, Jr., MD
Pembroke Pines Plastic Surgeon

Arm surgery

You may be able to get away with a conservative liposuction of the upper arms, instead of a full lift with an incision. It is impossible to know for sure without examining you in person.  I would recommend finding a surgeon in your area and see what they think after seeing you in person. Good luck.

Francis Johns, MD
Greensburg Plastic Surgeon

Arm Luf

Arm lift is a good procedure to achieve thinner contour of the arms after a massive weight loss. However, it comes with a scar from elbow to axilla. This scar could be very unsightly. There are many scar management protocols you may try and many will work. But you will still end up with a scar that tends to be thick and wide. Unless you are willing to accept this scar, you will not be happy. 

Other option woukd be liposuction. Liposuction will result in a substantial improvement of contour but it may leave residual loose skin which I think, in your case, acceptable. Liposuction leaves very little scar.   If you want more tightening or thinner arms, you can have skin removal surgery at a later day 

good luck. 

Alex Kim, MD