220cc on tuberous breasts... Is there a chance the asymmetry of my breast augmentation will even out with time? (photos)

Prior to surgery both of my breasts were tuberous but symmetrical. I am currently three weeks post-op which I know is very recent. My left breast is perfect in my opinion but the shape of my right breast is basically exactly the same as before just a larger size. What are the chances this can resolve on its own? Is it possible to go back and release more tissue underneath the right breast? I would really prefer to not have to make any incisions around my areola.

Normal healing process

At only 3 weeks it is still early in the healing process after breast augmentation and some asymmetry is to be expected. As the implants soften, settle and drop the breast shape will change along with cleavage. Be sure to keep any scheduled follow up appointments you have for his or her evaluation and advice . Good luck!

Dean Vistnes,M.D.
Vistnes Plastic Surgery
San Francsico Bay Area

#realself #breastaugmentation #drdeanvistnes

Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

3 weeks post op, some advices:

Thanks for sharing your concerns with us.
Its too early to talk about final results.
In my practice, after performing a BA I recommend to my patients to limit the movement of the arms for two weeks. After that, you can move your arms taking care and always with common sense.
In this regard, it's not advisable to carry heavy weights to prevent the implant out of position, and allow the formation of the physiological capsule around the implant, also to avoid pain and breast swelling.
Kind regards,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Correction of tubular or constricted breast demands adequate release of the base of the breast.

It's too early to tell but the base of the left breast appears to be shorter in diameter than the opposite. There's a good chance this will improve with time. If not, months from now, reoperation can adequately release the base for a more symmetrical diameter.

220cc on tuberous breasts... Is there a chance the asymmetry of my breast augmentation will even out with time?

Yes the asymmetry was present befits but went un noticed! Only revision with larger implant to correct volume differences can be offered.

220cc turberous breasts

Thank you for the question and the pictures.    It is certainly possible to revise your original surgery,  however I would encourage you to wait until you are 6 months post op,  it takes that long for you to appreciate a "final result".   Best of luck.

Ivor B. Kaplan, MD
Norfolk Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetry 3 weeks out

Thank you for your question.  It's still too early to make a judgement on your result at 3 weeks post op.  Wait at least 3 months before getting a better idea.  Implants tend to settle down into position and swelling subsides.  At that point, you can discuss your options with your surgeon, including revision.  Stay in touch with your surgeon regarding your concerns and postoperative instructions.  Good luck.

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Breast Augmentation

I discuss all aspects of surgery with my patients, including recovery in detail. It will take time to recover sometimes a few weeks to as long as a few a months. Considering my patients often get a breast lift with implants and this can take a longer period to recover. 

Frank J. Ferraro, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Tuberous breast

You are still quite early in the recovery period and it is hard to say how things will settle. Some surgeons will wait 6 months or even a year before considering revision procedures. Sometimes surgeons use different implants on each breast because they have different anatomy preoperatively.  Different surgeons have different threshholds for revision, which is why it is important to find a plastic surgeon who you feel listens to you and understands what you are trying to achieve. Best of luck, MMT

Review Your Preop Pictures and Wait

I suggest you review your preop pictures with your original plastic surgeon. He/she will be able to show you in more detail any asymmetry you may have had before surgery. I will be honest and tell you what every plastic surgeon says: "Patients never notice asymetry before surgery, but they always notice it after surgery."

Achieving symmetrical results after surgery is an important part of the operation, and you are understandably upset. There is good news in that asymmetry immediately after breast augmentation usually evens out over time. When both breasts aren't exactly the same before surgery, they may have different things done to them during surgery, and they subsequently heal differently and at different paces. The good news is that it is much too early to assess the final results. Even if you're breasts aren't exactly symmetrical after everything is healed and settled (and they never end up EXACTLY symmetrical), the degree of asymmetry may be small enough that you either don't notice it or it doesn't bother you.

If you are otherwise happy with the results, and the asymmetry is the only thing bothering you, then be confident that things will improve over time and you will be happy with the final result. If not, your plastic surgeon will want to work through it with you and makes things better if possible. 

Armin Moshyedi, MD
Bethesda Plastic Surgeon

Needs a revision

Based on my experience with tuberous breasts, the best way to fix this is, both releasing the constricted base and changing the pointed appearance to a more rounded one. In my hands I would like to to do a peri-areolar mastopexy. It would be difficult, in my opinion, through an infra-mammary approach to reduce the herniated tissue behind the areola. As far as the size difference in the implants it's hard to tell on just the view that you've given us. I recommend you go back to your plastic surgeon and discuss your options.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS