Tummy Tuck with Upper Abdominal Lipo is It Necessary?

Hello Doctors, I am planning a Mommy makeover. I am bothered with my upper abdominal area the most. Will a full tummy tuck be enough to correct my problem or is upper abdominal lipo necessary? Also, is it safe to do at he same time? Thank you for your response.

Abdominoplasty +/- Lipo

You need to post photos to get a reasonable answer to this question.   Otherwise we are just giving you non-specific information, which is helpful, but doesn't necessarily apply to you.  Good question though.

Tummy Tuck and Liposuction

Most tummy tucks involve fat contouring to some degree.  This can be accomplished by liposuction and/or direct contouring of the fat with open dissection of the excess layer identified during the surgery. The degree of skin, fat, and muscle laxity contributing to each patient's appearance will vary and needs to be evaluated during your consultation.  A plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery will be able to assess your individual situation and recommend a surgical plan to address all your concerns with your abdomen.

Bryan G. Forley, MD

Upper Abdominal Lipo with Tummy Tuck

Unfortunately, only a full evaluation by an experienced plastic surgeon will answer your question.  I can say that in my own experience, many women will undergo upper abdominal liposuction at the time of an abdominoplasty.  The safety of this has been debated by surgeons in our specialty for some time.  In my opinion, it can be performed as long as the dissection necessary to mobilize the abdominal wall spares enough blood supply to permit healing.  It will increase the chances of minor post-operative complications such as delayed wound healing and fat necrosis however these problems are manageable and often are not a factor in the final result.

Most Board Certified PS Should

Most board certified PS should add liposuction to the abdomen as part of their abdominoplasty procedure. Once the rectus muscle is tightened and liposuction is performed, the upper abdomen should have a nice contour. 
Good Luck!

Donna Rich, MD

Will liposuction improve result of my tummy tuck?

In my experience, liposuction will not provide added benefit beyond abdominoplasty for the upper abdomen, but our unique approach to this area is not shared by most surgeons.  Liposuction of the upper abdomen may add some unwanted risk of abdominoplasty flap ischemia (loss of blood supply).

Steve Laverson, MD

Hello

In our practice we do not do liposuction of the upper abdomen at the same time with a tummy tuck. Make sure you get your options.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS (in memoriam)

Do I Need my Binder Any More

A photo might help us answer this, but only an actual in person evaluation by a plastic surgeon can determine the best approach for you.

Liposuction of the upper abdomen is commonly done when needed.  

You seem ready for an in person consultation. RealSelf has listings of surgeons in your area. You should consider cross referencing the listings from the The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (plasticsurgery dot org). A listing in the ASPS website assures you that your surgeon is not only board certified,  but also is a member in good standing of the major plastic surgery organization in the U. S.
Thank your for your question, best wishes.

Tummy Tuck/Liposuction

It is difficult to make specific recommendations about your situation but, in general, the upper abdomen is more difficult to treat than the lower abdomen.  You are right to ask about performing liposuction at the same time as an abdominoplasty.  This is a topic of some debate and has to do with maintaining adequate blood supply to the abdominal flap so that it will heal properly.  My approach is to be quite conservative with liposuction and to understand that we can always return for more liposuction at another time if needed.  Interestingly, it rarely is necessary as I think by underming the skin and providing tightening the result is usually quite good.

Richard Kofkoff, MD, FACS
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Lipo with mommy makeover commonly done with tummy tuck

I think many if not most plastic surgeons would inlcude lipo of the upper abdominal area as part of the tummy tuck, since the whole idea is to improve the appearance of the entire abdomen. There is some debate about how much liposuction is reasonable to do in other areas at the same time as a tummy tuck, but within reason it is safe to do by a skilled plastic surgeon.

Richard Baxter, MD

Tummy tuck with upper abdominal lipo

Tummy tuck is frequently combined ith some upper abdomen or flank lipo. It is safe to lipo this area and the additional cost is quite modest. However, to determine whether it is necessary or appropriate in your case, a personal consultation is necessary.