Is it better to have my insurance approved breast reduction at a hospital or surgical center? Both are accredited.

My breast reduction was approved with insurance . I was wonder what is cheaper for me after insurance covers ther part ? To do it at a hospital or a surgical center ? BOTH are apart of my insurance plan . I know they do the negotiated price but is the negotiated price the same as the hospital compared to the surgical center? What is the cheapest , SAFEST route to take ?the surgical center FYI is right next to the Hospital also that I would consider going to both r part of my employee plan also .

Facility dependent

It would be facility dependent and you might want to contact each location's finance department to find out.

Facility dependent

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Is it better to have my insurance approved breast reduction at a hospital or surgical center?

Safety should be equal between the two sites but fees are generally much less at a surgery center. 

Safer and cheaper breast reduction at hospital or surgicenter

I would ask your plastic surgeon their thoughts on these matters as they would be more familiar with the surgicenter or hospital facility and staff with respect to safety.  With both being accredited they should both be safe options.  As far as the cheapest this will require some legwork on your end and calling your insurance carrier will be the best way to get the details for either procedure.  Some offices have dedicated billing specialists that could help but many do not and relying on someone else to get the right information could result in unhappy surprise when the bills come to your address.  

Something to remember is there will be a surgeon fee, anesthesia fee, and a facility fee.  Each should be investigated for insurance participation not just acceptance.  There are many anesthesia groups that accept but do not participate with insurance and this could lead to a significant surprise when bills arrive.  Your surgeon's fee will cover the procedure and 90 days of aftercare.  Occasionally care is needed after 90 days and then you could expect to have an office visit copay.

Best Dr. L

Andre Levesque, MD

Best Dr. L

Andre Levesque, MD

Insuracne for breast reduction

If your insurance has approved the procedure at both an ambulatory center of the hospital you need to find out if both are contracted with your insurance company to accept their payment as payment in full or are you responsible for a percentage, i personally prefer to operate in an ambulatory setting which is more efficient and in general a cleaner enviroment than a hospital operating roon since trauma cases, bowel case, etc. are not done there.

Barry M. Schwartz, MD
Weston Plastic Surgeon

Insuracne for breast reduction

Barry M. Schwartz, MD
Weston Plastic Surgeon

Approved breast reduction at a hospital or surgical center?

As far as safety both should be accredited and equal, however the cost basis at hospitals can be higher and can impact your out of pocket portion. It might be best to contact both and get an estimate.

Congratulations on your decision to proceed with breast reduction surgery; this operation tends to be  one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform.  Short answer to your question: I don't know.

You will need to make some phone calls to determine which route would be most "economical";  online consultants can only guess (my guess: the hospital setting would be more expensive).

Most important of course will be: careful selection of plastic surgeon,  quality of anesthesia provider, and safety of  surgical facility.

Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.