Back pain after Tummy tuck.

Is it appropriate to ask my doctor for some muscle relaxers my lower back feels a lot of pressure when I try to walk. I had a breast reduction and a Tummy tuck w Mr 3 days ago....

Muscle relaxers

These can be very helpful during the early post-op period.  Flexeril is the one we use when patients ask - and it seems to be helpful.  Don't be afraid to ask your surgeon about it.

Tummy tuck and back pain.

Most of my patients have back pain too after tummy tuck. It comes from the bending over and usually resolves as you become able to stand upright. I include valium in my post operative regimen to help relax not only the tummy muscles, but the back as well.

Give your PS a call . It certainly makes sense to me.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Adam Tattelbaum, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Back pain after TT?

Thank you for sharing your question and congratulations on your tummy tuck procedure.  As the muscle repair portion of a tummy tuck results in a bent-over waist it can result in low back muscle pain that can be improved with position changes while resting and muscle relaxants.  Voice your concerns to your surgeon, they should be able to help you become more comfortable.  Best wishes.

Some back discomfort from a flexed posture is normal.

• It is not uncommon for patients to have some discomfort in their back after a tummy tuck.  It usually is from sleeping and standing in a flexed position for a couple days.  You will be allowed to straighten up fully any day which should fix the problem. 
  • Dr Rodger Shortt is a plastic surgeon in Oakville who cares for patients from Oakville, Toronto, Mississauga, Hamilton, Burlington, Georgetown, Milton and the GTA.  He strives to be the best plastic surgeon and is one of the few plastic surgeons in Canada with 5-star ratings on RealSelf, RateMD and Ontario Doctor Review.  He is the director of cosmetic surgery training and an assistant clinical professor at McMaster University.

Rodger Shortt, FRCSC

Back pain after Tummy tuck.

Yes, your surgeon would want to know if you are in pain. So ask for medications if needed to relieve your pain. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS