How to reduce gynecomastia?

i have Gynecomastia,and it is becoming bigger weeks after weeks,I feel ashamed when i go outside,please help me to reduce it.

Doctor Answers 10

Don't worry, this a common condition among many men and it is treatable.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Hello Ashis,

Gynecomastia (or “man boobs”) is a condition affecting some men in which the male breast enlarges to resemble an underdeveloped female breast.

Its important to know that male breast enlargement is not permanent and is surgically treatable.

In general, this condition isn’t serious from a health standpoint. It’s more of a cosmetic problem for most. However, it may trigger some serious psychological turmoil, as most men and boys do not want a feminine look. They may feel a range of negative emotions when they think about their overdeveloped breast tissue.

My advice would be to look for a board certified, well experienced & highly rated surgeon in your city and visit him / her for a consultation.

About Gynecomastia and Options for Treatment

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The male breast is composed of glandular tissue and fatty tissue. An excess in either type of tissue can cause the chest to take on the look of gynecomastia. Gynecomastia can affect #men of all different body types. There are different types of #gynecomastia. According to official statistics, 36% of adult young men and 57% of older #adult men in the United States have this medical condition in one of the four grades.  About 200,000 to 3 million cases of #gynecomastia are being reported every single year. So if you have #breast #enlargement and you feel you're an exception, please understand that 1 in 3 young adult #men and 1 in 2 older adult men are just like you and have breast #enlargement.

Several common factors can cause gynecomastia including excessive levels of #estrogen, natural #hormone changes, use of recreational drugs or alcohol, medications and their associated side effects, and, various health conditions. Also, there are different types of #gynecomastia.
There are three types of surgical #treatment #options available that treat gynecomastia. Your board-certified plastic surgeon will recommend the type best suited for you. 
The most important decision to be made before performing any surgical procedure is determining whether you are an ideal #candidate. 

Jed H. Horowitz, MD, FACS
Orange County Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 116 reviews


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for the post and there is no reason to be ashamed as the problem is quite common and can be corrected but you need to be worked up first.  So see some experts in your area.

Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 65 reviews

Gynecomastia Help

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Healthy male patients with excess breast tissue or unwanted breast development who have no underlying breast disease.Men who desire improved physical and aesthetic appearance should have realistic expectations based on their condition and the procedure performed. See the below links for more information.
#Gynecomastia Help

.How to reduce gynecomastia?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Hi ashish
Gynaecomastia correction is surgery involving liposuction and gland excision
there is very little discomfort and scars after the procedure
have a look at the video


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
I agree with the prior post. You will need a proper work up.  That would include seeing your primary care doctor and a board certified plastic surgeon.  In teenagers, sometimes gynecomastia will resolve spontaneously. More common questions are answered in the attached video.

Tim Neavin, MD
Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 53 reviews

Male breast reduction

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
I think you should start by seeing your primary care physician. They can help to determine if you have other causes for gynecomastia or hormonal imbalances. There are many external causes such as pro hormones that you can get from supplement stores. I would definitely avoid those and see you're primary care physician before you see a plastic surgeon.

Mark T. Boschert, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 37 reviews

How to reduce gynecomastia?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
I would suggest that you be seen by your primary care physician; a rapid increase in breast size is not typically seen with straightforward gynecomastia. If/when the time comes for surgical intervention, please make sure that you seek consultation with board certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience achieving the types of outcomes you would be pleased with.   In most cases, gynecomastia is treated with resection of the excess breast tissue; peripheral chest liposuction may also be helpful.
You may find the attached link, dedicated to gynecomastia concerns, helpful to you as you learn more. Best wishes.


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Gynecomastia does not typically get larger as rapidly as you are describing. There may be something else going on. You want to consult with a general medical doctor and if there are no other unusual conditions then a board-certified plastic surgeon. This is usually a surgically correctable  condition. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Sherwood Baxt, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

How to reduce gynecomastia?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Treatment really depends on the cause. Many medications and street drugs can cause male breast development and one can easily google which drugs those are, if you are taking any of those then I would look towards stopping them. There are also medical problems and hormone imbalances that can cause gynecomastia as well. Your family doctor could diagnose and treat most of those. Finally, there is gynecomastia with no underlying cause which can be effectively treated surgically. Modern methods involve very small incisions out towards the armpits and can significantly improve your appearance. I would suggest starting with your family physician to see if there are any underlying medical problems. If everything comes back normal then book a consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon near you to discuss surgery. Best of luck! 

Mathew A. Plant, MD, FRCSC
Toronto Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 40 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.