How do I best treat lip wrinkles? (Photo)

I am only 32 but I am starting to see lines in my upper lips. My mother and grandmother both have prominent lip wrinkles and my whole life I have dreaded having them. I am extremely self conscious about them. What is the best way to treat? Short term? More permanent?

There are many treatment approaches that can be used to address lines around the mouth.

There are many treatment approaches that can be used to address lines around the mouth. The best option is usually a combination of several interventions, creating more lasting results. I recommend that you seek out an experienced and respected facial plastic surgeon at a clinic that offers a comprehensive approach to management with energy based treatments, as well as dermal injectables. Your best option may be to utilize laser resurfacing to stimulate natural cell turnover, as well as dermal fillers such as Juvederm to “fill in” the lines around the mouth. Lifestyle habits of avoiding smoking and ensuring proper hydration will also help to reduce the appearance of new lines around the mouth.

Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lip lines

Hello, and thanks for your question. 

The short version of a long story is that there are multiple techniques that can be utilized including Botox, filler, lasers, and chemical peels. In my experience, it's usually a combination of therapies that results in the best outcomes. I recommend an in-person consult with an expert. To maximize the likelihood of a favorable outcome, I recommend that you only get treated by a well-trained and experienced dermatologist or plastic surgeon.

Hope this opinion is helpful to you. Best of luck, Dr. Frucht.   

Corey Frucht, MD, PhD
Santa Barbara Dermatologic Surgeon

Lip Wrinkles

Thank you for your question. You can treat this by either fillers or laser resurfacing/CO2. Fillers are a short term solution compared to the laser. I would advise a consult with a doctor to see which options they offer and what would work best for you personally.

Edward E. Dickerson, IV, MD
Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lip Lines - Laser Resurfacing, Microneedling/PRP, Fillers

I suggest you see an expert this area needs a combination approach for improvement.   Best, Dr. Emer.

Lip lines

Vertical lip lines can be treated on the short term by Botox injection. This gives great results but lasts for 3-4 months. If the lines are etched in the skin, you can have filler injection to smoothen the lines. You can also have thread lift which gives more long term results. Thread lift treatment is an office procedure that does not involve incisions or cuts. It helps build collagen in the lip skin. 

Treating lip wrinkles

The treatment of lip wrinkles, also known as perioral lines or smokers lines, is a commonly sought after topic in consultation.

There are both short-term and long-term options for this, as you asked. The best way to address these initially is with prevention, which can consist of avoiding puckering your lips while you brush your teeth, use a straw, etc. Botox and Dysport also fall under the topic up prevention, as they can be used to prevent this muscle from contracting and creating those radiating lines in the first place.

Re-creating some of the lost volume with a filler can also improve these lines, I don't love to put filler directly underneath the lines, as it doesn't last terribly long, but this can be an option in select cases.

The most definitive way to treat these lines is with a resurfacing procedure, the gold standard being a CO2 laser resurfacing.

To ensure you are receiving the highest level of care, seek out a modernly trained, new-school dermatologic surgeon, oculoplastic surgeon, facial plastic surgeon or plastic surgeon who is board certified and fellowship trained in one of these "core four" cosmetic specialties.

Cameron Chesnut
#realself500 Physician

Cameron Chesnut, MD, FAAD, FACMS
Spokane Dermatologic Surgeon