I have finally decided on where I am going for my Mommy Makeover. Saline or Silicone?

I have finally decided on where I am going for my Mommy Makeover. But I was told at every consultation that Saline and Silicone are both options for me because I have enough breast tissue that you wont feel the implants. I am going under the muscle because the chance of capsular contracture is less but I am undecided on which one to go with, Saline or Silicone? Sincerely, alharper

Saline Vs Silicone

Your Plastic Surgeon will be able to provide you with some pros and cons for either. The cost could vary between them. Many patients feel that silicone gel implants move/feel more natural and show less rippling. Both are considered safe. I recommend that you go with whatever choice makes you more comfortable.
All the best

Saline or Silicone

This a very common question, and I always advise the patient that is their choice.  Silicone is more commonly used as it tends to feel more natural, ripples less, and is less firm than saline.  These may not be issues if you have enough breast tissue, as you stated.  Both are safe and it really comes down to what you are looking for.  Best of luck with your upcoming surgery!

Jeffrey M. Pitcher, MD
Grand Junction Plastic Surgeon

Ave finally decided on where I am going for my Mommy Makeover. Saline or Silicone?

Thank you for the question. That is always a difficult decision. Most patients in my practice prefer silicone as it feels more natural to them. I would suggest you discuss this with your board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck.

Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

I appreciate your question. The best way to determine implant size is based on chest wall measurements that fit your body.  Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.   Implants under the muscle, there is less risk of capsular contracture.  Anatomic implants tend to give a more natural shape with more nipple projection. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.  Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon #RealSelfCORESurgeon

Saline or silicone implants for Mommy Makeover?

You ask a good question.  The answer would be easy if you had thin breast tissue or if we knew that your breast tissue would be thinning in the future (ie after pregnancies).  I have many patients with thick breast tissue whom I "implanted" saline years ago with fantastic results but have noticed a modest rate of deflation with saline that I don't see with silicone implants.  The bothersome ones occur in the first ten years with saline and I don't see any silicone deflations until the implants are over 20 years old in my experience.  Though more expensive I think the silicone are more durable even with thick breast tissue.  Ultimately, that makes the decision a personal one that you need to make after giving the options and costs some thought. Jon A Perlman MD FACS  Certified, American Board of Plastic Surgery  Extreme Makeover Surgeon ABC TV Best of Los Angeles Award 2015, 2016  Beverly Hills, Ca

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Saline versus silicone implants and mommy makeovers

All implants can safely help create a lovely breast shape and make patients very happy. What I learned from my patients who have experienced both saline and silicone implants, silicone implants feel better for the patient. Patients report that their silicone implants feel less heavy and more natural compared to saline. For the person examining the breast there might be no difference, but the experience of the patient seems far more important in terms of feeling. I am a very big fan of the new cohesive silicone implants which are solid, unlike the older liquid generation of silicone implants which could leak silicone into breast tissue. Silicone implants feel less heavy and are very safe. Having said that, I always recommend following the suggestion of the surgeon you choose to trust. The personal expertise of an individual surgeon will sometimes favor one technique over an other. For my mommy make over patients, I recommend new generation cohesive gel implants, a short scar and drain free tummy tuck for safety, ease of recovery, and appearance of the final result. Hope this helps!

Angela Keen, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon