Am I right to be worried? (Photo)

I'm 8 days out from a mid face and neck lift. One side is completely different than the other side. One side is perfect, the other lumpy with weird lines. I'm scared! Please help! My eye looks like it's being pulled down and will have a permanent diagonal line going down. Under my cheek it, it looks like there's a line there too. Am I right to be scared? What do you see? PS I can't seem to get the pics to rotate to the right direction.

Post-op face lift

Your photos are sub-optimal to render any meaningful comments. But I can tell you that you are extremely early in the healing process. You will see continued improvement over the next few weeks-be patient. Keep in touch with your surgeon and follow his/her instructions.

Cincinnati Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift a week ago and very concerned

It is very common to be worried this early after a facelift. The two sides of the face swell differently. They are like sisters, they are related but behave differently. It is very early in the healing process so you should return to your surgeon and let him/her put your mind at ease about what you are seeing. Patients often misconstrue swelling that is different on one side or the other as a permanent thing when it should resolve with time. Most of the time in 6-8 weeks most of these issues resolve. I hope you can take a deep breath and let time do its magic. Please follow all of your doctors post op advice and maintain confidence in their care and you should get through it fine. 

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Results after facelift

At this early phase of the recovery period, you should not be concerned with differences from side to side. You should wait about 6 weeks to start judging the facelift result.

Andres Bustillo, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift: Healing takes time

For 8 days out from surgery, you should take comfort that you are still healing. Nearly all patients experience swelling and lumpy bumps after a face and neck lift. Some of them will be less swollen by 1 week, but some require 2 weeks for the swelling to reduce.You should be checking in with your surgeon frequently during your recovery. He/She can guide you best on what to expect, and what is normal/not normal healing for the particular procedure you’ve had.

Mark Karolak, DO, FAOCO
Bridgewater Facial Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetry on Postop Day 8-time to worry?

Dear lucky70-
It is impossible to give you medical advice on this forum, with only photos and no exam.  Generally speaking, it is normal to have some asymmetry (esp swelling) in the early postoperative period.  This is generally the first 1-3 weeks after surgery.  I think a consult with your surgeon will help allay any concerns you may have.
Good luck to you
Dr. Most

Sam Most, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

8 days out

IT is difficult to assess your photos, but I think that you are close enough to surgery that the concerns you have should get better with time. Follow your surgeons instructions and wait.

Best Wishes

Asymmetrical results 8 days post #facelift in Oregon

Thank you for your question.  I would not worry too much since 8 days is still very early.  It is common for both sides to heal at different speed.

As for the eyes, make sure they are closing properly; if not, consult your surgeon as drops, lubricants and eye patch might be indicated for a short time.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,

Dr. Marc DuPere, Toronto Aesthetic Plastic Surgeon

Marc DuPere, MD

Recovery

Thank you for your question.  It is really hard to tell anything from your photos.  That being said it is very early in your recovery process, and you should give it time.  There is still swelling and will be asymmetry,  I recommend touching base with your plastic surgeon about any concerns.  All the best, 

Keshav Magge, MD
Bethesda Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetry eight days after a midface lift.

The pictures are not particularly revealing but eight days after an operation such as this some asymmetry is the rule rather than the exception. You should feel comfortable in discussing your alarm with surgeon.

Face lift one week ago - and badly worried

Thank you for asking about your face lift recovery.

• Everyone - everyone - panics the second week after a face lift.
  • The reason? Our minds think 'now' means 'forever' and can't understand how much things improve.
  • So - you are early with lots of swelling to go down and healing to do.
  • One side always looks better than the other (we all heal faster on one side)
  • But it is time to return to your surgeon, show her/him all your areas of concern and have them explained.
  • The lines may be from swelling, or from temporary pull of internal sutures.
  • Assuming you have a well-qualified plastic surgeon, you are in good hands.
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.