I want to get a TT in the next 3 months; should I still go to this surgeon if he has no pictures?

I want to get a TT in the next 3months. I found a doctor that I really like. The only issue is I've only seen a few pictures from his website. I've had a consultation with him in the past and asked to view more pictures but was unable to provide me with any. I'm flying in for the surgery and staying in the area for a few months. I guess my question is, "should I go through with it even though I've only seen a few before and after?"

Finding the right surgeon

Hello and thank you for your question.  Before and after photos are extremely important to view prior to surgery.  And make sure these are actually real patients of your surgeon and not someone else's pictures.  It is very important that you thoroughly research your surgeon before committing to surgery. It is a good idea to research your surgeon's educational background, online reviews, before & after pictures, and speak with anyone who you may know who has had surgery with that surgeon. During your consultation, make sure that you don't feel rushed and make sure that you have adequate time with your surgeon and not just their patient coordinator or nurses. If the majority of your consultation is spent with someone other than the surgeon, this is usually not a good sign. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified expert surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Before and afters

Hello and thank you for the great question! ALL plastic surgeons have photos!!!! Usually, the plastic surgeons who have been in practice longer or that operate on a large number of patients will have MANY pictures for you to look at. If their results are good, then they will be eager to show you as many pictures as you would like to see! Our website is filled with pictures in every category of surgery and we have even more pictures to see in the office. When people ask me about how they should chose a plastic surgeon I tell them a few things...

1. See a few different plastic surgeons and make sure they are all board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

2. Get a sense for if the plastic surgeon understands your concerns and addresses them appropriately

3. Do a good online search on the plastic surgeons you have seen and check out their credentials and their reviews

4. Look at many pre and postoperative photos 

These are just a few things but I think important. I hope this helps and wish you the best of luck!

Ankur Mehta MD

Ankur Mehta, MD
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

Should I still go to this surgeon if he has no pictures?

Before and After pictures are imperative when it comes to choosing a surgeon.  Not having documentation of his or her work is highly suspect.  You must do your research and be your own advocate.  Check on credentials and reviews.  Most of this information is available on line.  You may ask his or her office for referrals as well. 

All the best to you.

James E. Murphy, MD, FACS
Reno Plastic Surgeon

Be cautious with doctor choice

Thank you for your question.  It is always a good idea to check your surgeon's credentials and training.  Best to make sure they are board certified or board eligible if they have just finished training.  Most plastic surgeons document their results with before and after photographs and obtain patient permission to share those photographs.  Unless your surgeon is just out of training (1-2 years), I would be concerned about the lack of photographs.  This may indicate that they seldom perform that operation or there are poor results that the surgeon is unwilling to share.  It is always important to trust your surgeon and have good rapport, but if the surgeon's results are suspect, then it may be time to interview some other doctors; especially if you are flying in from out of town.   The best way to vet your surgeon is to check their reviews, look at their photos, talk with other patients, and check with the state medical board and American Board of Plastic Surgery to make sure they have not been disciplined.  Good luck.

Matthew H. Steele, MD
Sioux City Plastic Surgeon

TT

Thank you for the question and I tell patients to look for someone that is Board Certified or eligible in Plastic Surgery and one who does a lot of the procedures you are interested in.  Photos or testimonials are the only way to check on that

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

I want to get a TT In the next 3 months, should i go to a surgeon if he has no pictures?

Thank you for sharing your excellent question.  Unless your surgeon is recently out from training it would be unusual for them to not be able to provide pictures or references from other patients.  Though it is important that you like your surgeon be sure to vet them to ensure their credibility and work product.  Best wishes.

Options

I share your concern.  Cosmetic surgery is a big decision and requires complete comfort both ways between patient and surgeon.  If you have reservations, then your choices are to resolve them with your current surgeon, or continue on in your search.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Ali Mosharrafa

Ali Mosharrafa, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Before and After Photos

Most plastic surgeons who do a lot of cosmetic work strive to show off their work, and each surgeon may have a certain type of result they consistently produce. I use the photos extensively in my consultations so patients know what to expect. That includes photos of not just great results, but also things like unfavorable scars, dog ears, and swelling which are possible as you recover.

John LoMonaco, MD, FACS

Before and after pictures

Thanks for your inquiry, I simply want to say that many of my colleagues include myself obtain pre-operative photographs on all patients and try really hard to get at least one post-operative set within the first year.  I do not know why your surgeon is not able to provide such pictures, best of luck.  

Vishnu Rumalla, MD

Choosing a surgeon

A surgeon with a reasonable amount of experience should be able to show you pre and postop photos.  You need to be comfortable with your surgeon and the see examples of the results they get, especially when traveling a long distance.  Good luck, Jane

Jane M. Rowley, MD
Lubbock Plastic Surgeon