Is it possible to just have liposuction on my lower abdomen? (photos)

I'm bothered about my apron belly. I was going to get my upper & lower abdomen done but I really I would like just my over hang done. I have been living with this tummy/overhang forever so I'm basically just looking for Shrinkage in my lower abdomen? Is this possible.......? "please tell me it is?"

Is it possible to just have liposuction on my lower abdomen?

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well... I recommend you to do a tummy tuck with muscle repair, you have much extra skin that has to be removed.

You appear to be a good tummy tuck candidate.

Judging by your photos, you appear to have loose, sagging abdominal skin. Liposuction is a body contouring procedure that can target stubborn pockets of fat, but it cannot remove excess skin. To achieve a more svelte lower abdomen, you’d need to have your excess skin eliminated via tummy tuck. A tummy tuck can address your entire stomach, both above and below the belly button, for dramatically improved contours. Consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon for optimal results.

Lee B. Daniel, MD
Eugene Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck surgery is needed

Thanks for your photos. Based on them performing only a liposuction will not solve your problem. Therefore my advise to you would be performing a tummy tuck surgery to remove at the same time excess skin. Best Regards....

Ozge Ergun, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction vs Tummy Tuck

Hi there! It is possible to just have liposuction on your lower tummy, however, it will most likely not give you the results you are looking for; in fact, it may make the overhang worse. It might be worth considering a tummy tuck if the overhang really bothers you. Best wishes!

John S. Lee, MD

Liposuction vs. tummy tuck - options to consider

Liposuction is not an effective way to manage the 'skin apron' that patients with severe abdominal skin laxity dislike - a tummy tuck is a better way to manage abdominal skin laxity, albiet with a longer recovery time.

Liposuction Versus Abdominoplasty

Of course it is possible to just have liposuction, but what kind of result were you hoping for? If you want the overhanging skin gone, liposuction would not be effective. If you just want to be a little smaller, then liposuction would possibly help. Please visit a few ABPS certified/ASAPS member surgeons that perform all types of body contouring surgery, not just liposuction.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Liposuction for overhang

Thank you for your question and photos. Unfortunately, liposuction of the belly alone will just create more loose skin and overhang. The issue is the loss of elasticity of the skin, which, unfortunately cannot be reversed. An excisional procedure, in which the skin is removed (tummy tuck) will get rid of the overhang or apron and improve the contour of the abdomen. Liposuction whether it be conventional, laser, cool sculpting etc. will not cause enough contraction of the skin to have a significant beneficial effect. I would recommend a full tummy tuck with liposuction of the flanks.

Hope this is helpful,

Lipo vs Tummy tuck

I think you are a better candidate for a tummy tuck (TT) vs liposuction.

You have a fair amount of skin and fat excess with a slight overhang to the skin flap. Liposuction could potentially make that overhang worse. Consult a BCPS to get a formal opinion.

Best.

Kirk Moore, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

It's possible, but might not give you great results

Only treating the lower wouldn't give you the results that you're looking to create. I recommend a formal consultation with a body contouring expert. A tummy tuck with energy based liposuction like VASER and/or ThermiRF, fat grafting do well for fat removal, skin retraction and contouring of the body. If you have a lot of loose skin, surgery is the best option with or without lipocontouring.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Thanks for the question and including a good photo. Tummy tuck isn't for everybody as it is a bigger surgery with more expense, a longer scar, and a significant down time. But balanced against that is the dramatic improvement it can bring to your tummy contour. It removes all the extra skin and attached fat as well as recontouring the muscular wall of the abdomen. We can certainly do liposuction alone on your tummy and reduce the volume significantly but the skin will be empty and as saggy or even more so as it is now. There is nothing wrong with the liposuction procedure if you understand what the results will be and are OK with that. But don't let anyone tell you they can do some sort of a lift with lipo. That procedure is fantasy. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD